PDA

View Full Version : PowerShot A620 problem

Leifur
November 29th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Hello,

Am i alone in having Downloader Pro fail to sense my Canon PowerShot A620? If I pick the bundled software when prompted by Win XP (I haven't selected a program to be used automatically) then it works fine so there's nothing wrong with the connection as such.

However, Downloader Pro doesn't find an image source at all. The program behaves exactly the same way with my HP R707 but fully supports my daughter's Sony DSC-P41. I had thought this software series was particularly well integrated with Canon's camera's - was that a misconception on my part?

Any help would be appreciated .... (I hate clunky software suites!)

Leifur

Chris Breeze
November 30th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Canon appear to have changed something in the way recent PowerShot cameras like the A620 work and so unfortunately the current release of Downloader Pro can't connect to it. Canon will be releasing a new PowerShot SDK in December which supports the A620 and I will update Downloader Pro when it is available. I already have an A620 on loan ready to update Downloader Pro and PSRemote when the new SDK is released.

Robert H
December 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I have been using Downloader and Breezebrowser since I abandoned the Canon software shortly after I bought my G2 more than four years ago. Since then I've also used it with a 300D SLR and an S70 compact. I've just bought the excellent A620 so I'm keen to know when Chris can modify Downloader Pro to accept my A620

Chris Breeze
December 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Canon say a new SDK which supports the A620 will be released next week. I will start work on updating Downloader Pro and PSRemote to support the A620 and S80 a soon as the new SDK is available.

mch_nz
December 7th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I've just picked up an A410 for the kids to use and discovered that it also doesn't seem to be supported by Downloader. Hopefully the new SDK will fix this too?
Cheers,
Mark

Bzzzt
January 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Canon say a new SDK which supports the A620 will be released next week. I will start work on updating Downloader Pro and PSRemote to support the A620 and S80 a soon as the new SDK is available.

Hello! Any news on the S80?

I got mine today, and I can not download anything. Downloader Pro pops up (like it did on the old S70, the old IXUS V2 and V3), but it shows no images.

I have tried pretty much all settings, but no luck.

I will get at chep card reader just in case, but I would like to be able to download from the camera as soon as possible.

Thanks! :)

Chris Breeze
January 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I'm going to have to contact Canon about this. The new PowerShot SDK is only for remote capture operation and the existing SDK won't connect to the S80 or A620.

Jar
January 14th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I just upgraded to Download Pro to get the USB support along with autorotate. Sadly, when I connect my SD550 via USB, downloader claims I have "no files" (I really have over 100 picutres on my 4GB SD card. I hope the size of teh storage media is not an issue :-/).

Running Win XP, when I look at "My Computer" folder in Windows Explorer I can see the cannon camera, and when I go into that folder, I can see the pictures (on my camera). This at least shows that I have a good connection to the camera via USB. There is mention in the Downleader Doc of setting the camera to "normal" mode rather than "PTP," but I don't see such an option in the play menu on my camera.

Is this the same problem for the SD550 as mentioned above? I've heard the software is the same on the SD500, so I'd also be interested in hearing of success or failures on that camera.

Thanks,

Jim

p.s., I also tried using teh file open (browse) dialog. Under XP "My Computer" (under Breeze Downloader source selection dialog) does not show the "Cannon 550" subdirectory, and hence I can't "cheat" and reach the camera that way :-(

Chris Breeze
January 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Yes, it is the same problem. It appears that none of the PowerShot cameras released in the second half of 2005 are supported by the current PowerShot SDK.

juster
February 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hello,

After noticing that new version (v1.8.1) of downloader pro was out, I was hopeful that probably it now works with my A620. No success yet in my tests:( Is it supposed to work, i.e. does this version support Powershot A620?

-- juster

Jar
February 17th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I too just tried the new 1.8.1 Downloader version... and it still fails to detect files on my Canon SD550 over the USB. It is interesting that there apears to be a lot of "disk" activity on my camera (little green light flashes) when I tell Downloader to "refresh," but no files are ever listed by Downloader.

The workaround of using the Window's facilities to cut/copy files into a temp directory, and then using downloader to read tat temp directory, still works. That workaround is painful as it uses a lot of extra disk space (twice the size of the copy set), requires manual selection of the minimal copy set (files that haven't already been copied) for the window's porton of the transfer (since Downloader can't help identify pre-downloaded files till after they are pasted into a temp folder ).

On a positive note, the workaround does allow Downloader to handle auto-rotation etc., and proper placement into named subdirectory structures (per user preferences).

It would be nice to hear a status update on the effort to support all these newer Canon cameras.

Thanks,

Jim

wellington
February 19th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'm guessing this is the same issue.

I have both a 10D and an IXUS55 - the 10D works fine, no problems but Downloader refuses to acknowledge the IXUS.

I'd be happy to try out any possible fix with my IXUS

Chris Breeze
February 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM
The latest version of DLPro doesn't support direct downloading from the A620 but you can download using a card reader. This is because Canon have dropped support for downloading directly from newer cameras in their latest SDK.

pmattf
February 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I am trying to help my friend get his SD550 working with Downloader Pro. It works fine to plug the camera into the computer (XP Professional), and just drag the pictures over using the Windows File Explorer.

Why can't Downloader Pro do whatever it is that XP does to recognize the camera and grab the files? Why does it need a special Canon API?

Chris Breeze
March 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Until recently Canon provided their own API to download from PowerShot cameras and DLPro used this because it allowed access to settings like the camera's time and the owner string. In the latest SDK, which is required for the latest PowerShot cameras, this API has been dropped in favor of the more standard (but less functional) PTP protocol for downloading images. Windows Explorer uses PTP to access the camera and is able to drag and drop files.

pmattf
March 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
So why not just modify Downloader Pro to use PTP on the new powershot cameras? It will end up with the same results we get now by using a card-reader or by using windows to transfer the pics to a temp folder and having Downloader read from there, won't it?

Chris Breeze
March 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Canon only made this change in January and it's going to take a while to develop a PTP interface for downloading images. It is also horribly complicated having to use different SDKs and download methods for different cameras.

Leifur
March 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I've been checking back every now and then since posting the message that started this thread last year and am very disappointed that the problem hasn't been solved - I'm literally waiting to spend my money.

In the meantime I've been using a freeware tool known as cam2pc, it actually does MOST of what Downloader does - what I miss most is the ability to support multiple cameras saving to the same directory area.

If cam2pc can support the new Canons for free then one would think that it falls short of being rocket science in complexity :-)

Leifur