PDA

View Full Version : Card reader not found

chatzebussi
December 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Chris and the other experts

Running XP Professional. Card reader is either LACIE or HAMA. I most of the time get the message "card reader no found", even though it is clearly located by Windows Explorer and the contents are browsable. I then manually must allocate "Downloader Pro" the correct Drive/storage card using "File/Open Source Directory" in order to download the files (SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash 1.0GB).

Then once in a while its working according to instructions only to give the error message again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled DPvers. 1.7. But it is still very unstable.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

Chatzebussi

GuyScharf
December 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
What I have done is use Windows disk manager to assign a specific drive letter to the card reader. I have to do that for each different card I use in the reader, but I assign the drive letters so they are always the same regardless of the card inserted into the reader. Then I set the drive letter in the DLP Preferences dialog.

This always works for me.

Guy

chatzebussi
December 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks Guy

This is exactly one of the procedures I chose. Still it doen't work and I have to use the "open source" / "select image source directory" detour.

Chatzebussi

Chris Breeze
January 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
The locate card reader button looks for removable drives with a root directory named \DCIM. It should therefore find a card reader containing images stored by a camera which conforms to the DCF standard.
If this doesn't work on your system you can lookup the drive letter using Windows Explorer and enter it in DLPro's preferences.

mch_nz
February 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM
The locate card reader button looks for removable drives with a root directory named \DCIM. It should therefore find a card reader containing images stored by a camera which conforms to the DCF standard.
If this doesn't work on your system you can lookup the drive letter using Windows Explorer and enter it in DLPro's preferences.

I'm downloading from both SD and CF cards. DLP can find the CF but not the SD. The root directory on both is named \DCIM. I've just installed version 1.8.1 so everything is up to date. Having to keep on entering the drive letter is a real pain. Any ideas?:confused:

MrMyckster
February 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I am having trouble with this as well.

The card reader plugs directly into the mother board and one day it just stopped working.

I have uninstalled the usb devices, checked the Microsoft Knowlege Base and I can not figure out what is happening.

When I manually tell it where the card is, it tells me card not found.

What I have been able to figure out so far, and I am not sure if this will help or not, is that the card reader is usb 2.0 and when I went to my old card reader that is usb 1.0 it found everything just fine.

I am up and working but the download time is just so slow.

I really could use some help on this.

M.

Paul Wood
February 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I had this problem as well. I would start DLPRO, and it would not find the card reader. I would close it, start it again, and it would find the card.

This happened every time -- I had to start DLPRO twice for each card.

I upgraded to the latest version (paying for an upgrade to both BBPRO and DLPRO at the same time), and it fixed this particular issue.

However, it introduced another issue -- if I select "Start Breezebrowser automatically", it hangs. If I start BBPRO using the command line option, it opens a new instance of BBPRO for every card I download.

MrMyckster
February 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I want to clarify something.

All I know to this date is that my cards will not read the way they used to.

One day it just stopped working. I thought the device failed. I replaced it and the same thing happened.

Last night I shot a benifit and It took 45 minutes to download a card using the old card reader.

I want to make sure that every one including Chris that I am not sure that it is his program that is malfucntioning. The only reason I found this thread was that I tried the microsoft knowlege base and found no answers.

I then came here to see what is going on and found this tread. It is entirely possible that a patch that microsoft applied is causing me trouble or an update in my virus software.

I am at a loss as to how to figure out how to trouble shoot this. I did the best I could and now I really could use some suggestions as to how to get this fixed.

M.

Chris Breeze
February 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Does the card reader appear as a drive letter in Windows Explorer and can you open it and see the contents of the card? If it does then it is probably working OK and you should be able to access it from DLPro by entering the drive letter in DLPro's preferences. If you can't see it in Windows Explorer it means there is a problem which might be hardware or software related.

MrMyckster
February 21st, 2006, 12:34 AM
Thank You Chris,

I can see the drives in windows but I can not access the card reader.
When I put the card in there the reader lights up but I still cant access the card.

Like I said it might not be a Breeze problem at all.

I am looking for other fixes.

I have removed all the usb devices and re-installed all of them with no luck.

I have updated the bios, reinstalled all the drivers, reset the firewall, removed the Spyware programs and at this point I think the board may have lost the USB controller, much to my regret.

M.

Richard Khanlian
February 21st, 2006, 04:12 AM
I'm having the same problem with DL Pro 1.8.1 not finding my card reader and having to enter it manually each time. I'm also running BB Pro 1.4.1, and when I try to download from within BB Pro, the Downloader doesn't open and BB Pro freezes. This is on a Dell laptop with Windows XP SP2. Not having this problem on my desktop computer, which, as far as I can tell, is configured the same way. And I didn't have this problem on the laptop when I was using the non-pro version of Breezebrowser along with Downloader 1.5.

Richard

Chris Breeze
February 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM
Are you having problems with Windows XP AutoPlay not launching DLPro or is the problem DLPro is not finding the card reader when you launch it manually? Have you set the image source in DLPro's preferences to "Card reader" and entered the drive letter in the text box?

Some Windows apps interfere with Windows messages and prevent DLPro from communicating with BBPro. If this happens you need to uncheck the "Link button to BBPro" checkbox and use the command line method to launch BBPro instead.

Chris Breeze
February 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM
I can see the drives in windows but I can not access the card reader. When I put the card in there the reader lights up but I still cant access the card.

If you can't access the files on the card reader using Windows Explorer it is almost certainly a software driver or hardware issue.

mch_nz
February 26th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Hi Chris,
I'm still trying to find out how to get the auto-detect working correctly:confused: . Yes I can enter the drive letter in the preferences but as I have both CF and SD cards I keep having to manually set it. Both cards are from Canon cameras and have the \DCIM in the root directory and both are shown as removable drives in Explorer so the auto-detect should work. I'm running XP SP2.
Thanks,
Mark

Chris Breeze
March 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Are you having problems with Windows AutoPlay or the "Locate card reader" button in DLPro's preferences?

mch_nz
March 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Are you having problems with Windows AutoPlay or the "Locate card reader" button in DLPro's preferences?
Hi Chris,
I'm not using autoplay. The problem is with the "Auto-detect camera or card reader on startup" option.
Cheers,
Mark

Chris Breeze
March 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
You can set multiple drive letters or a range of drive letters in DLPro's preferences if you need to be able to access more than one card reader. DLPro will connect to the first one it finds which has a \DCIM folder.

mch_nz
March 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
You can set multiple drive letters or a range of drive letters in DLPro's preferences if you need to be able to access more than one card reader. DLPro will connect to the first one it finds which has a \DCIM folder.
Thanks Chris, I'll give that a go. Still wondering what the problem with the autodetect feature is though, other apps don't seem to have this issue...:confused: