PDA

View Full Version : Skipping RAW ...

Mathelo
December 31st, 2005, 03:45 AM
Chris,

I'm evaluating Downloader Pro and so far its doing just what I need particularly with the new support for DNG. I've gone to DNG as my source file and discarding the original Canon CR2. Is there anyway to skip saving the original RAW files? Not a big challenge for me to delete them but would be one less step in my workflow.

Thanks again for this product.

Louis

Chris Breeze
January 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
I could add an option to delete the original raw file after performing the conversion to DNG but I'm not sure this is a good idea. The DNG file loses much of the detailed shooting data. I'd want to be 100% certain that the DNG conversion was successful and that I had no further use for the original raw file before deleting it. Currently I don't use DNG files in my workflow, but if I did I would probably keep an archive copy of the original raw file just in case I need it one day.

Mathelo
January 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
The DNG file loses much of the detailed shooting data.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what is being lost? I was under the impression that the most recent version retained all relevant information.

Louis

Chris Breeze
January 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Most of the information stored in the MakerNote is lost. For Canon EOS cameras this includes information like custom function settings, flash data, self-timer values, focus point settings etc.

Mathelo
January 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'll have to do some research here to better understand what is being lost but the DNG specification states "allows proprietary data to be stored using private tags, private IFDs, and/or a private MakerNote."

Additionally, from the Adobe forums:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]@.3bbd80d6/5

Thomas Knoll - 6:01am Dec 14, 05 PST (#8 of 11) Edited: 14-Dec-2005 at 06:01am

Both the Canon picture style and the Nikon curve information is stored inside the private MakerNotes of their raw formats. Starting with ACR/DNG 3.1, these private MakerNotes are copied (along with original file offset and byte order information) into the DNGPrivateData tag in DNG files. So all this private information is now preserved in DNG. Currently ACR ignores this private data, but it is there if some other software (or future versions of ACR) decide to use it.

Louis

Chris Breeze
January 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks, I wasn't aware that the MakerNote is now copied to the DNG file. It's going to be very difficult to access it because the Canon and Nikon SDKs won't be able to read it.

Citezein
January 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Chris,

I'm evaluating Downloader Pro and so far its doing just what I need particularly with the new support for DNG.

Louis

Where is this DNG support? I would love it if the program could convert to DNG straight from the card, while keeping all of the other great features. How do I do this?

Mathelo
January 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM
Downloader Pro v1.7.1 beta 2 http://www.breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951

Where is this DNG support? I would love it if the program could convert to DNG straight from the card, while keeping all of the other great features. How do I do this?