PDA

View Full Version : 1D MkII focus point

OlgaJ
January 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I'm assuming this is a known issue, but don't know if a fix is possible or not.

With 1D MkII images, the focus point used is not indicated (in red.)

(I wasn't paying attention to 1D Mk II bugs before and didn't expect to have an Mk II till I won one on January 1st. :D)

Olga

admin
January 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I'm assuming this is a known issue, but don't know if a fix is possible or not.

With 1D MkII images, the focus point used is not indicated (in red.)

(I wasn't paying attention to 1D Mk II bugs before and didn't expect to have an Mk II till I won one on January 1st. :D)

Olga

You won a 1D MK II? Wow, I had to buy mine!

The focus points display correctly in my 1D Mk II files. There is a problem with accessing Canon SDK routines when using UNC pathnames (e.g. \\CYCLONE\Photos\IMG_0123.CR2) which I have fixed and will release in an update soon.

Regards,

Chris

DeanSilver
January 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Olga,

They show up on mine for raw files only. I rarely shoot jpeg, but they do not show up on extracted jpegs or proofs made from raw files from the 1D2 nor the 1D. I have a vague recollection that the feature was designed that way. Chris could confirm that.

Have you tried it on a raw file?

Dean

OlgaJ
January 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Dean,

Yes, I've tried on raw files. Perhaps the problem is the bug that Chris mentioned. I will wait.

Olga

Chris Breeze
January 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Olga,

They show up on mine for raw files only. I rarely shoot jpeg, but they do not show up on extracted jpegs or proofs made from raw files from the 1D2 nor the 1D. I have a vague recollection that the feature was designed that way. Chris could confirm that.

Dean

Dean,

It definitely works with raw files and JPEGs straight from the camera. Unfortunately the Canon SDK doesn't appear to be able to read the focus point data from extracted JPEGs and so I will have to try to decode the EXIF MakerNote and bypass the SDK.

Regards,

Chris

DeanSilver
January 18th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks, Chris, but please don't pursue that issue on my account. I think focus point display is an interesting feature, but I don't utilize it myself, since I almost always recompose after focusing. I was just trying to help eliminate the obvious regarding Olga's problem, since she didn't specify which type of image she was viewing.

Dean