PDA

View Full Version : PTP support

Evo2Me
January 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Chris, since the forum is up again I take this from private e-mail to forum.

I asked if PTP support for DP is currently considered, Chris Breeze wrote back that no because

PTP is OK for JPEGs but can't download files like Canon CR2 raw files

Unfortunately the statement wasn't expounded on. From what I know - and I have to say that I was unable to locate the complete specs on the Net - and experience with my D2x, PTP is not limited to a specific image format.

Does Nikon do anything that Canon does not (apart from being the first to implement FotoStation's PTP/IP extension)? The recommended, and only real useful, USB setting for the D2x is PTP. With PTP it is possible to use Nikon Capture, which cannot be done when the camera is set to Mass Storage Device, the mode needed for DP.

Theoretically iView MediaPro also makes use of PTP to download and import directly from a digital camera; card readers (D2x set to MSD for example) are recognised as external hard drives and behave different.*

Could anyone either enlighten or corroborate me? And, am I the only one wnating PTP in DP?

*"Theoretically" because the import feature of MP v3.01 seems to be buggy.

Chris Breeze
January 5th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I haven't tested this with Nikon cameras but with Canon cameras (e.g. Canon EOS 20D) it doesn't handle raw files properly. Shooting raw+JPEG confuses PTP and results in two JPEGs of the same name being listed. Raw files on their own sometimes appear correctly and sometimes appear as zero length BMP files.