PDA

View Full Version : Prevent downloading twice

jeanvalentin
January 8th, 2006, 02:33 AM
What am I doing wrong?

On the main page of the DLP, it says that it verifies if the file was already downloaded and prevents for downloading it again. This is not my experience.

Setup:

Download Directory: D:\Photos\2006\%J
File name: card%R_%n4
Automation: Enable Automation at startup; Prompt before starting auto sequence; Download file when app is started; Exit Downloader
General: Automatically "eject" card reader media

I insert the card in, DLP starts, it scans the card reader and a prompt comes up: Automation enabled. Do you wish to....-> Yes. DLP downloads the card and then it shuts down.

I pull out the card and I reinsert it. Same thing happens as before but it downloads the files with the new name (card2....).

From what I've read, it shouldn't download the card again.

I have a feeling that it happens because it shuts down and it restarts. Unfortunately, I have to restart DLP because %R would not change.

What I need, is that each new card that I download to start with a prefix: card# (where # will increment by 1 after each card is downloaded).

Regards,
Valentin

Chris Breeze
January 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Downloader Pro uses the download filename and compares it with the files already in the download directory to decide whether it has been downloaded. If you use %R in the filename it will generate a different filename each time you restart Downloader Pro after having downloaded some files and will not be able to detect that the files have already been downloaded.
It might make more sense to use a different naming scheme e.g. prefixing the image number with the time the picture was taken (%t_%r) so that Downloader Pro won't download the files a second time with different filenames if you accidentally insert the same memory card twice.

jeanvalentin
January 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Downloader Pro uses the download filename and compares it with the files already in the download directory to decide whether it has been downloaded. If you use %R in the filename it will generate a different filename each time you restart Downloader Pro after having downloaded some files and will not be able to detect that the files have already been downloaded.

Chris,

Thank you for your response.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your statement. Isn't the purpose of different tokens to make the target file name the way you want it? If so, how can DLP use the file name to compare?

Can you please explain.

Also, I've been playing with the software and I would really like to make it work for me. I don't know what parameters to use to make it work (and your statement above adds to the confusion).

I have 3 cameras with several cards. Sometimes I use second shooters. How can I get all the files in one folder without duplicate names. Also, I would like to prefix the file name with card# (I have my cards numbered and they are entered in order). The %R token will increment but I have the problem described at the begining of the thread. Is there any way that I can setup DLP to do these 2 requirements?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
Valentin

Regards,
Valentin

Chris Breeze
January 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Chris,

Thank you for your response.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your statement. Isn't the purpose of different tokens to make the target file name the way you want it? If so, how can DLP use the file name to compare?
Downloader Pro uses the shooting data to generate the download directory and filename and compares this with the files already on the disk. If a file of the same name, size and timestamp already exists then DLPro knows it has already been downloaded. If the file exists but the timestamp or size are different either it is a different file or it has been modified. Tokens like %R which don't generate the filename from the shooting data can be useful but they do prevent DLPro from being able to determine that files have already been downloaded if you accidentally try to download from the same card more than once.

Also, I've been playing with the software and I would really like to make it work for me. I don't know what parameters to use to make it work (and your statement above adds to the confusion).

I have 3 cameras with several cards. Sometimes I use second shooters. How can I get all the files in one folder without duplicate names. Also, I would like to prefix the file name with card# (I have my cards numbered and they are entered in order). The %R token will increment but I have the problem described at the begining of the thread. Is there any way that I can setup DLP to do these 2 requirements?
There is no way of distinguishing card #1 from card #2. %R allows you to number your downloads but won't help if you accidentally try to download from the same card more than once. If you are shooting from 3 cameras of different models you can use one of the camera name tokens to prefix the filename with the camera model e.g. set the filename to %T_%o. If the cameras are the same model and are Canon cameras or Nikon DSLRs you can use the camera name mapping function to generate a unique prefix for each camera (please see the help file for details). Alternatively making sure your cameras are set to continuous numbering and then prefixing the download filename with the time (e.g. set it to %t_%o) will virtually guarantee unique filenames. The chances of two cameras shooting at exactly the same time with the same image number is very small indeed.

jeanvalentin
January 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Valentin