PDA

View Full Version : Handling Homonyms

LaurentR
January 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I just moved to Downloader Pro after years of struggling with ACDSee's downloader.

For various reasons (including a Minolta P&S camera which is confused about sequential numbering), I occasionally have to deal with 2 images with the same name but which are different. I could deal with it with adding the date to the filename, but I am trying to keep the original name intact for other reasons.

ACDSee's downloader actually detects name collision and brings up a window when that happens, offering the usual options (ignore, overwrite), but also a rename option, which appends a "_2" (or _3...) to the newer picture.

I wonder if there is any way to do that now or to add it to a future version (like a % token that is blank when everything is good and becomes "_2" or more when there is a conflict).

Thanks in advance.

Laurent

Chris Breeze
January 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry this isn't possible because Downloader Pro uses the filename to test whether a file has already been downloaded. If you prefix the name with the time taken (e.g. %t_%o) it will avoid problems with different images having the same filename and the original filename will be preserved in the second half of the downloaded filename.