PDA

View Full Version : File type flexibility

LaurentR
January 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I just moved from ACDSee in particular to handle RAW+JPG downloading properly (thanks to the DPREVIEW folks for pointing me to Downloader Pro).

While the current 2 options are quite flexible (using %e or %E), it would be great to be a bit more flexible. For instance, I get .MOV from some cameras, sometimes with a .THM also. That's at least 4 types (with JPG and CR2).

It would be awesome to have a flexible option like the camera mapping button to do filetype>token mapping. It would also allow RAW+JPG to leave JPG in the main directory and the RAW in a subdirectory, which is not possible (AFAICT) right now. If that's possible today, I'd be glad to figure out how.

To finish with feature requests, I'd be in download nirvana if:
- There was a "default camera" in the camera mapping so that all the guests that are trying to download photo from their flash card can be handled in an specific way.
- There was an entirely different directory/filename mapping string for each camera and each file type (and not just a token). The reason I'd like that is that I use a file organization for myself, but I also get several family member who use me as their photo repository, and they get another organization, which is more backup friendly, and which doesn't dump their pictures into my main repository.

Thanks in advance.

Laurent

Chris Breeze
January 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
THM files are a problem because they are associated with raw files on some cameras and movie files on others. It would be difficult to handle these differently depending on the type of their associated parent file.

File extension mapping would be horribly difficult to implement and present in the user interface and would probably be too confusing for the majority of users. The next release of Downloader Pro has additional tokens similar to %E which evaluate to empty strings for JPEGs or non-JPEGs.

The camera name mapping tokens allow \ characters and so you can use them to specify complete paths (apart from the drive letter) for different camera models. I'll give the idea of a default camera mapping some thought. Currently the camera mapping tokens default to %T1 if no match is found

LaurentR
January 17th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks Chris for the responses.

File extension mapping would be horribly difficult to implement and present in the user interface and would probably be too confusing for the majority of users. The next release of Downloader Pro has additional tokens similar to %E which evaluate to empty strings for JPEGs or non-JPEGs.

I thought you could just have a dialog tab like the camera mapping and provide extension > token mapping (same thing as camera mapping). I just put together my basic flow yesterday, and realized that handling movies (MOV, AVI) is a bit painful because most of the tokens (camera type...) don't apply.

The camera name mapping tokens allow \ characters and so you can use them to specify complete paths (apart from the drive letter) for different camera models. I'll give the idea of a default camera mapping some thought. Currently the camera mapping tokens default to %T1 if no match is found

Yes, I figured that one out, and it works very well. I thought it didn't work because, if you change the mapping, the preview doesn't update in the main tab. You have to close the preferences dialog box and reopen it for the preview to work. The download works flawlessly.
With most of the directory in the camera mapping token, "default" files (e.g. MOV, AVI, THM and all files from unknown cameras) get all dumped in the same odd place. So a default would help.

Anyway, great piece of software.

Laurent

Chris Breeze
January 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM
MOV and AVI files are difficult because they don't contain shooting data. Canon cameras have an associated THM file which does contain shooting data and DLPro can link the THM to the AVI file and use the same shooting data for both. Other camera makes sometimes use THM files for thumbnails but unfortunately don't store any EXIF shooting data in them.
I've taken a quick look at adding a default camera mapping and it looks reasonably simple to implement and I'll include it in the next release.

LaurentR
January 17th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I've taken a quick look at adding a default camera mapping and it looks reasonably simple to implement and I'll include it in the next release.

Great. Thanks Chris.

Laurent