PDA

View Full Version : Error using time in filename

BDW
January 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have been using

%b %D %Y %H%M #%N2

to download and rename images from a 20D by date and time but find that the time in the filename is consistently out by 1 Hour ie a photo which the header (and GPS) shows was taken at 1143 will have a filename with the time 1243.

Is this a known problem with v1.7 (a search did not reveal any related reports)?

BDW
January 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Since posting the original query I have checked further into this problem.

I have a copy of the original files as downloaded from the CF card using Downloader Pro and have been able to trace the problem from that point on.

1. The original download retained the filename as supplied by the camera but sorted files into folders by date. Windows Explorer shows the creation date of the copied files as a time (eg 1036) that is 1 hour greater than that shown (0936) in the EXIF data as displayed from the same file by both Photoshop CS and Raw Shooter. The EXIF data is consistent with separate GPS records of the time and location.

3. When I prepare to copy the files from the original folders using Downloader Pro the directory listing provided by Downloader shows the same incorrect time for each file as did Windows Explorer. This 'file creation' time is translated directly into the filename by Downloader and not that in the embedded EXIF data.

Hence it would appear that

(a) for some reason either the 20D or the first use of Downloader to copy from the CF card to disk generated files with a creation date which is consistently 1 hour greater than the time the photos were taken as per EXIF and GPS. The file creation date is unrelated to the time the file was copied from Card to disk)

(b) More significantly, Downloader Pro appears to get its time from the file header rather than the embedded EXIF data. Since I went to the trouble to keep the GPS and camera synched to the same time this is disappointing. I had assumed that Downloader would use the EXIF data for all actions relating to file renaming.

I am using this function for sorting and identifying photo locations on an extended trip to Europe. A filename listing the date and time each photo was taken provides a historical trail and can quickly be matched against the GPS records when necessary to identify uncertain locations. Whilst I can still dig into the EXIF data this is much more cumbersome. The discrepancies between the EXIF data and the filenames created by Downloader largely negates the reason I purchased Downloader in the first place (ie its very flexible file naming capability) and I am hoping that I can remedy this problem.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Is this an inherent limitation in Downloader Pro or is there some setting that I am missing somewhere?

Thanks
Bruce

Chris Breeze
January 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM
There is an option in DLPro's preferences called "Use image capture time for file timestamp". If this is set DLPro will read timestamp from the shooting data otherwise it will use the file's timestamp.

BDW
January 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Chris

Thanks for the prompt response. That fixes my problem neatly - I had seen the flag some time back but had misunderstood how to set it as described below.

My original attempt to set this flag some months back failed because I did not have a CF card mounted. The option cannot be set when in this state. It is not possible to set and forget the time stamp option when first working through the Preferences as I had tried to do.

What I failed to appreciate more recently was that to set the flag when transferring between disk folders it is necessary to open the Source Directory from the Files menu rather than from the menu option included in the Preferences/General menu.

Downloader Pro is an invaluable and very flexible tool.

Bruce