PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't see Canon Powershot S80

martin braid
January 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Because Canon's ZoomBrowser does not support network drives, I've now switched to Breeze Downloader Pro 1.7 (I've purchased a license). However I cannot get it to see or connect to my Canon PowerShot S80. My Windows XP sees it, ZoomBrowser saw it, but nothing happens when I use Breeze DL Pro. One possibility is that my aging PC doesn't support USB 2.0, yet Windows and ZoomBrowser work, just slower. Any ideas?

Chris Breeze
January 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Canon's current PowerShot SDK doesn't support direct downloading from the S80 or A620 and so Downloader Pro can only download images from these cameras if you use a card reader. I'm talking to Canon Europe about possible solutions but it is likely to take several months to update Downloader Pro to download directly from the camera.

martin braid
January 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Oy vay! The only reason I bought Downloader Pro was because ZoomBrowser doesn't support network drives (with NAS devices cheap and ubiquitious, some companies are living in the past). I suppose I'll have to continue using the Canon tool to download to a local disk, then manually copy to the network drive ..... then use BreezeBrowser Pro!
Thanks,
Martin

iana
May 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Chris,
Is there any progress/timescale for supporting the Canon S80 again ?

Cheers, Ian.

Chris Breeze
June 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
It appears that Canon no longer support the downloading of images from new PowerShot models like the S80 using the Canon SDK. It is possible to download images from the camera using PTP. Unfortunately this won't work for Downloader Pro because it needs to be able to read the shooting data from the image before downloading and PTP doesn't appear to support this.

iana
June 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Chris,
Is this terminal, or is it likely to be supported some time in the future ?

I can still use DLP for my dslr's and the canon camerawindow utility for the S80... although I much prefer DLP!

Cheers, Ian.

Chris Breeze
June 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
I don't think there is anything I can do about this because the PTP protocol doesn't support the reading of shooting data from images on the camera. You can still use a card reader to download your images. A fast card reader is usually much faster than downloading directly from the camera.

Leifur
June 27th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Chris,

Given that other vendors seem to have no problems with these new PowerShot cameras, why can't you handle them? cam2pc has no problems downloading from my A620, that software is however far more limited than your product in other areas - hence my desire to see support added. Removing the SD-card from the camera is a non-starter I'm afraid.

Leifur

Chris Breeze
June 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Most cameras support PTP for direct downloading to a PC. Unfortunately PTP is very limited and doesn't support the reading of shooting data before downloading the image and so Downloader Pro can't use it.