PDA

View Full Version : Starts/Stops on D: drive, not on C: drive

pmattf
January 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Using Windows XP, service pack 2, all updates. P4 2.8ghz.

I just made two changes to my system -- I installed a second internal drive for data, and I upgraded to Downloader Pro 1.7

C drive is the old drive, 3 year old Western Digital 120 GB Caviar. D: drive is the new one, 320 GB Western Digital Caviar. I just ran this disk speed utility -- http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rkdisk.html -- on both disks. D: drive shows up as being slightly faster.

When I put CF card in my USB 2.0 card reader and download NEF files from my Nikon D200 (7 to 9 meg each), it runs smooth and steady at around 4.7 to 5 megs per second (just like it used to before I changed the system).

When I download to my D: drive it does the same for about 5 to 10 files, then it will stop for maybe 3 to 10 seconds, download a few more, and do the same thing, ad infinitum until all files are downloaded. I have repeated numerous times, trying it immediately after a reboot etc. and it is always the same thing.

There are no other problems I have seen with the D: drive. After I downloaded 930 megabytes from the card to the C: drive, I can use windows explorer to copy it over to the D: drive in about 20 seconds (which also means it won't be too hard to work around this issue, but still, it is weird and annoying).

For one more test, I downloaded to an external USB 2.0 hard drive, and got the same smooth performance as the C: drive.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Chris Breeze
January 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what could be causing this. I regularly download from a USB 2.0 card reader to various drives on my system, some serial ATA drives and some USB 2.0 external drives and have never noticed much difference between them.

pmattf
January 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your reply. I tried copying files from the card reader to my drives directly in Windows File Explorer, and I am seeing the same thing -- they appear on the C: drive at a smooth and steady pace, and it stops/starts when copying to the D: drive. So obviously it is not a BreezeBrowser issue after all.

FYI, I just posted the following question to Western Digital technical support. I will post a follow-up if I get this resolved. I am starting to suspect it may have to do with support for very large drives (my D: is 320 gig).

------
My C: drive (system) is a three year old WD1200JB-75CAO. I just installed a new D: drive for data -- a WD3200JB-22KFAO. I am finding that when I transfer files for a USB 2.0 external compact flash card reader, it goes at a smooth steady rate when transferring files to the C: drive, but when transferring to the new D: drive it will go for a while, then pause for 5 or 10 seconds, then continue. It does this numerous times until the transfer is finish.

On the other hand, if I download them to the C: drive, and then drag the files from there to D:, it seems to copy quite quickly. And I have not seen any other problems with the D: drive either. However I am concerned there is something wrong with the drive, or my drivers etc.

I downloaded a simple drive speed test utility, and it shows the D: drive as being slightly faster than the C: drive. I downloaded the Western Digital Diagnostics software and it did not show any problems. I downloaded and ran WD Data Lifeguard, and at start up it said drives over 137 GB are not fully supported, so I installed the patch. After doing that, it seems like the problem improved a bit -- less stopping and starting, but downloading to the C: drive is definitely still much faster.

Do you know what is going on here?

pmattf
February 1st, 2006, 01:32 AM
FYI, the problem was my relatively old mother board (Asus P4PE) combined with very new giant 320 gig disk. The IDE driver I was using was the "Intel Application Accelerator" v2.2, that came with the motherboard. After downloading and installing version 2.3 the problem cleared up.

This issue also caused major issues with I had set the D: drive as the temp disk for Photoshop.

Still have not heard a response back from Western Digital.