PDA

View Full Version : Access Violation

westy
February 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I am using a 10D and a 300D (seperate computers), Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, and running a copy of DSLR Remote Pro to capture and change settings. Every day, at least once, sometimes more, I receive an "Access Violation in register....Program will terminate" and the DSLR Remote Pro program crashes.

In order to restore everthing to working again, I must reset the camera by turning the camera off and then on. Then I start up DSLR Remote Pro and everthing is working again. On occasion, but not always, the camera will show "busy" until I restart the camera. This has happened on multiple cameras (10D and 300D) and multiple computers, all running Windows XP Pro SP2 and the latest DSLR Remote Pro. Alll cameras are running the latest firmware available from Canon.

Canon support offers that the perhaps the camera is overheating (unlikely!), but will make no asertions as to why the program crashes and the camera must be turned off and on again.

Any leads would be helpful to prevent me having to buy a different camera and different software.

Cheers,

Irik

Chris Breeze
February 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Are you using the latest firmware for the cameras and the latest Canon USB drivers? You can download these from Canon's website www.powershot.com.
I've tested both the 10D or 300D for several hours at a time without any problems. Longer than that and the batteries run out.

westy
February 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks for your timely reply. I am using the latest firmware for the 300D and the 10D, and I am using the latest drivers from the Canon website. I have purchased the external power supply unit for the cameras, so I leave them powered up 24/7. The computer that the camera is tethered to is fixed in place within 5M of USB to the camera with both running on a UPS. I have remote trigger connected to the camera taking photos by user trigger every 2-3 minutes, 8 hours a day. In general, all works well, except for the constant climbing of the ladder to turn the camera off and on again everytime I get an access violation error.

There does not appear to be any memory leakage over time by either the DSLR Remote Pro application, our software, or the OS (suprising, I know...)

Any thoughts?

Chris Breeze
February 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Is there any way to reproduce the problem or does it appear to be random?
You could probably turn the camera on and off again by cycling the power to the external power supply which might save some leg work up and down the ladder. If it works for several hours before failing you might be able to improve the reliability by cycling the power to the camera every 30 minutes or so to reset everything.

westy
February 25th, 2005, 02:23 AM
We have experimented with Power Cycling the cameras, but the problem is that the camera does not turn on again after losing power. You still need to turn the camera off then on again to reestablish the data connection, which means the ladder comes out.

In addition to the Access Violation, which I can only seem to recreate reliably by climbing the ladder and hitting the button on the camera 10-15 times in a row, on occasion, the connection drops completely and the ONLY way to re-establish is to reboot the computer AND turn the camera off then on. In this instance, the camera no longer appears in the "Scanner and Cameras" list and DSLR Remote Pro shows "Not Connected". I believe this to be a WinXP USB problem triggered by either DSLR or the camera itself. This explains why restarting the computer will allow the camera to reconnect.

rzurga
March 20th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I had the access violation problems in BreezeBrowser Pro and Downloader Pro after I installed Kerio firewall KPF 4.2.0 Beta 2. I had to roll back to some older or non-Pro versions to make it work. Now after I installed Kerio KPF 4.2.0 beta 4 the problem is gone. If you run Kerio firewall maybe you have the same problem.