PDA

View Full Version : Job code/IPTC data not working in 1.8

DavidB
February 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Even though I have IPTC data set, and a request to prompt for a job code, and the Registry entry appears to have these settings recorded correctly, they do not appear to be working for me.

Specifically, DL Pro is not prompting for a job code on startup, and is not setting IPTC data on download. Other settings (e.g directory and file naming) appear to be working normally.

While I am in diagnostic mode, I have cancelled all automation, and DL Pro is not registered for card reader events. I am opening DL Pro only when the card/reader is already connected, and Windows can 'see' the images on the card.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled DLPro twice; on the second occasion, I also manually removed all references to DL Pro I could still find in the Registry after uninstalling before I attempted to reinstall. There have been no problems with the install process.

My camera is an EOS 5D, and all the images I have used for test purposes are JPEGs. IPTC data is recording normally to these images from BB Pro.

I should be very grateful for advice as to what to do next.

Chris Breeze
March 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
DLPro will only prompt for you to enter a job code if it is selected in preferences and you use the job code token (%J) in the filename, download directory or IPTC data.
It will only prompt for IPTC data at startup if "Add NAA/IPTC data to downloaded images" and "Prompt for NAA/IPTC data every time Downloader is run" are set in preferences.

DavidB
March 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you very much. I had missed the tick boxes on the preferences page.

A thought. I have now made two (in retrospect) rather obvious mistakes. DL Pro can't provide for my stupidity, but I the fact that related settings are accessed through different menu paths (File|Preferences and Edit|NAA/IPTC data) may have contributed to my confusion. Is there any way to bring the tick boxes 'closer' to, or even into, the IPTC data entry dialogue, so that there is less danger that users will think, as I did, that, just by setting the data, the images will be automatically populated on download?

And thanks for responding so promptly after your return. I would have thought that you would be seriously jet-lagged.

Chris Breeze
March 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I see what you mean. I'll add a prompt for enabling IPTC data if the user presses the OK button in the IPTC dialog and it is currently disabled.

PS I was a bit jet-lagged on Friday, but I'm over it now thanks.

DavidB
March 9th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner. Your proposed fix is, I think, just what is needed. Many thanks.

I'm sure I am not the only one to be hoping that your gleanings from PMA soon find their way into DL Pro and BB Pro. A shutter count token for the EOS 5D would be really nice ...

jimb
April 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I've observed the following behavior in DL Pro 1.8.1...

On Preferences|Download Path tab, "Prompt for Job Code..." is checked.
On Preferences|General tab, both "Add NAA/IPTC data..." and "Prompt for NAA/IPTC data..." are checked.

When DLPro starts, if a new job code is entered in the Job Code dialog followed by OK, then the IPTC dialog opens as expected. However, if a job code is entered followed by a click on Preferences, e.g., to change the download directory, then the IPTC dialog does not open. It must be opened manually from the menu when the listing files operation is complete. In other words, even though the preferences to always prompt for IPTC data are specified, it doesn't always happen.

Chris Breeze
April 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Clicking on Preferences from the job code dialog will cancel the display of the IPTC dialog. I don't think this is a big issue because it would be somewhat cumbersome to display a chain of three different dialogs. You can display the IPTC dialog manually by selecting it from the Edit menu or by typing Ctrl+C.

jimb
April 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Clicking on Preferences from the job code dialog will cancel the display of the IPTC dialog.
Exactly my point. This is contrary to the specified settings. Is this behavior documented anywhere?

I don't think this is a big issue because it would be somewhat cumbersome to display a chain of three different dialogs.
What is cumbersome in displaying the IPTC dialog after you close the preferences window? Display the IPTC dialog first, then.

You can display the IPTC dialog manually by selecting it from the Edit menu or by typing Ctrl+C.
And these are the steps that shouldn't have to happen given the selections to display it automatically have been specified.