PDA

View Full Version : DL Pro not autostarting

Carl Bickers
February 8th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I'm using Downloader Pro with Win XP Home SP2, and although I've registered for card reader events, there is no automatic startup of DL Pro. Is there some other setting I should try? The device properties are set to use DL Pro for pictures. The files are from a Canon 10D.

Chris Breeze
February 10th, 2005, 06:59 AM
This might be a Windows XP problem. Does anything happen when you insert a card in your card reader? Windows XP should automatically display a choice dialog or an Explorer window if AutoPlay is working.

Carl Bickers
February 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I think you're right about the problem being XP related. I ran a Microsoft program called Autofix that reset the autorun for that card reader to defaults, but it still didn't work. All I get when I insert a card is a brief activity light, but no autorun. The automation in DL Pro works fine after I manually start the program. The card reader is a Mitsumi combination floppy/card reader internal USB 2.0. I can certainly live without autostart, just wondering why it doesn't.

DeanSilver
February 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Carl,

It's almost certainly a Windows problem. Autoplay is notoriously inconsistent and unreliable, and can be very difficult to troubleshoot. In my experience, it's probably not worth trying to fix if you've done the basic checks.

It doesn't work on my system, either. :p

Dean
--------------------
"What, me worry?"

Carl Bickers
February 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Dean. I agree, it's not worth spending a lot of time on it.

Chris Breeze
February 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I've had reports of two apps that appear to kill AutoPlay:
1) Nero PhotoShow Express
2) RealPlayer

I tested this with RealPlayer a couple of months ago - install it and AutoPlay stops working, uninstall RealPlayer and it works again.

Carl Bickers
February 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Chris, thanks for the tip. In my case at least, Real Player is definitely causing the problem. Uninstall it, autorun works. Reinstall, it doesn't. I've sent email to their Tech support and will let you know what they say.