PDA

View Full Version : Downloader Pro Evaluation

aekurth
February 8th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I've been using BB for a couple of years and fully intended to buy the new version when Chris offered it and Downloader Pro as a sweet deal. I've managed to exceed the evaluation periiod before I solved the problems I was having so now I'm stuck because the software has stopped working. Since I can't make this work myself- perhaps someone else can.

Problem 1 - My camera places files on both SD and Compact flash cards. XP sees these as different drives. Downloader Pro always looked for the images in the same place so I had to manually change the setting everytime I changed card. Not a big deal - but not much quicker than moving the files with XP explorer.

Problem 2 - I was unable to use the same naming convention that I use in Breeze Browser. It isn't that difficult in Breeze Browser but I would expect these products to support each other.

Problem 3 - My camera allows me to record some voice notes associated with a photo. When I used Breezebrowser Pro to look at the files, I found out that renaming the file had messed up the name of the associated sound file. Breezebrowser Pro handled this without any problems so I was surprised to have the problem with the downloader.

Problem 4 - While I was messing with the Downloader program, I used up my evaluation time on Breeze Browser Pro. I thought I could continue testing with a 12 photo in the directory limit but now I find that the other things that I wanted to look at are gone.

All of these problems are probably unique to my workflow but I'm disappointed. I wanted Downloader Pro to work and I expected to purchase the combination. Now I'm stuck without either and no way to finish my Breeze Browser Pro test.

Chris Breeze
February 10th, 2005, 06:57 AM
What camera are you using and what file types? I only have one camera which supports both CF and SD cards - a Canon EOS-1D Mark II. When I connect it to my PC via the FireWire cable DLPro correctly lists the files on both cards. It also appears to handle the .WAV sound annotation files correctly, giving them the same names as the associated images. How are you renaming your files in DLPro?

DLPro has slightly different requirements for naming images and can only provide a subset of the renaming options of BBPro. The main constraint is it needs to generate the download pathname from the source file without reference to images that have aleady been downloaded. If it didn't wrk this way it would be unable to keep track of which files have been downloaded.

DLPro comes with a 30 day trial period which ought to be long enough to evaluate it. There's nothing to stop you using your copy of BB if your BBPro evaluation period has expired.

aekurth
February 16th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I'm using the 1DM2. I name using a YYMMDDHHMMSS convention. When I rename the CR2 files to that convention, the sound files get renamed too. Downloader Pro named them based on their individual time atributes rather than that of the mother file - causing them to get lost as far as BreezeBrowser is concerned.

Chris Breeze
February 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
What you need to do is select "Use image capture time for file timestamp" in DLPro's preferences. This will use the EXIF datetime value stored in the shooting data of the CR2 file for both images. If this is not set DLPro uses the timestamp of the file when it was saved to the CF card which will produce different values for the CR2 and WAV files.