PDA

View Full Version : IPTC Core

DavidB
March 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM
Chris: are you any closer to implementing the new IPTC metadata standard in BB Pro (and DL Pro too)?

The last I recall, you were having difficulty in getting the Adobe SDK to compile. Were you able to fix the problem?

As an extension to this, have you given any further thought to the best way of displaying the meta data with the image? I quite like the tabbed layout in Adobe Bridge, though, as a whole, Bridge is in my opinion nowhere near as good as BB as a workflow/management tool. But your 'Full details' window could perhaps have separate tabs for EXIF and IPTC data.

Chris Breeze
April 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
I've given up on the Adobe XMP SDK and have started using a more standard XML library instead. There isn't a one to one mapping between IPTC IIM and XMP IPTC core which means some data will be lost when moving from one to the other. I'm concentrating on the technical details of handling IPTC IIM, XMP IPTC core and reading and writing this in the various image file types and XMP sidecar files first and will look at the presentation side later.

DavidB
April 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Many thanks. Like so many user demands, this is clearly not a trivial exercise.

It seems such a pity that XMP could not have been a superset of IIM. People are bound to have legacy images which they will not want to update. Presumably, as in Bridge, you will need to support the legacy standard to some extent.

I am reminded of the colleague who once said to me, "We love standards here; that is why we have so many of them" ...