PDA

View Full Version : Cannot update Image Description

dleepenn
April 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm trying to update the image caption in BBPro. BBPro shows that I've been successful. However, other image display tools are showing that the old caption that I thought I had replaced is still present and is overriding the functions that I need.

This is a BIG problem right now.

Lee
:(

Chris Breeze
April 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
What type of file is it and what other tools are displaying the original caption?
The most likely cause for this is the image contains both IPTC IIM data and XMP IPTC core data. Currently BBPro only updates the IPTC IIM data, but I am in the process of adding support for XMP in the next major release.

dleepenn
April 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I originally entered a long caption into the IPTC data. For one image, the data I entered was, "Saudi in typical dress. They really stood out in a crowd.\nTaken after arrival at Cairo Airport from Frankfurt".

Then, I found, with RoboGEO and Google Earth that I needed to have really short descriptions. So, I went thru and redid the IPTC data caption field. But, when RoboGeo processed the images to generate the KML file, it would pull the long descriptions again and not the new short caption that I had just entered using IPTC data edit.

Now, looking at this same image file again, BBPro shows the following "properties":
File: _MG_0918.jpg
File size: 145KB
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Date/Time: 2006:03:15 15:45:44
Copyright: 2006 D. Lee Penn
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Focal length: 70mm
Image size: 1053 x 700
Rotation: none
Color profile: IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB
Lat: 30°6'44.7884"N
Long: 31°23'57.1792"E
Altitude: 136.674m
User comments:
"Cairo Airport"
Image description:
"Saudi in typical dress. They really stood out in a crowd.
Taken after arrival at Cairo Airport from Frankfurt."

What you can see is that User comments IS what I entered via IPTC data update. But, now the long (prior caption) is sitting in Image Description.

This looks like a bug to me.

Lee

dleepenn
April 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I just did a test. I changed the IPTC caption data using BBPro. I THEN resized the image and did a SAVE AS in Photoshop CS2 version 9.0. Photoshop DUPLICATED the IPTC Caption Data into the Image Description field!!!! After my SAVE as from PS, BBPro shows for "properties":

User comments:
Image description:

At least I understand the issue now.

Lee