PDA

View Full Version : Starter page for a web site

TonyGamble
April 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I spent some time over the weekend looking at other web site production programs and came to the conclusion that BB took a lot of beating.

However, what I do need is a way of creating a starting page on my FTP site that will at least allow me to list the sub folders in which my BB generated HTML 'publications' are lodged.

Currently I need to tell my people to look at either:-

www.*****.com/molly
or www.*****.com/bert
pr www.****.com/sam

Can I use the BB HTML system to get me to one page that lists molly, bert and sam and enables them to click on to the one they want - plus a way of moving back from the sub folder to the index so that if they finish with molly they can go back and look at sam?

Foregive me if this is too off topic for the BBpro HTML generator - but it might be just something deeper than I have yet to dig.

Rgds

Tony

Gatorboy
April 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Open up notepad and create your own index.html file. There are hundreds of resources online and in books at the library you check out that can help you with HTML.

TonyGamble
April 24th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks Gator,

That effectively answers my other question.

I'm pretty convinced that I can build something based on the index page that BB starts me off with.

Tony

TonyGamble
April 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM
To which I would add now that Microsoft Word is quite an effective tool for manipulating a web site index page.

It created a link that had defeated me for well over an hour.

Tony

Nill Toulme
April 24th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Tony, just for an idea of something really simple, have a look at my site. The index pages are mostly *very* basic stuff done with MS Frontpage (which I find very easy to use), and the galleries are of course generated with BB Pro.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

TonyGamble
April 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Nill,

That is exactly what I want to achieve.

By a pleasant coincidence I am also displaying pictures that are of a non profitmaking organisation. I also am a professional but not a professional photographer.

I'll have a look around to see if we already have Frontpage here in the office, or source a copy.

Thanks

Tony

sneagle
April 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM
There are lots of free or cheap wysiwyg html editors...see below for some listings. FYI, one way I learned was to look at other folks pages--not CNN or Yahoo, but simple pages like the one listed above--and reading the HTML source by right clicking and choosing 'View Source'

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13398
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14731365

TonyGamble
April 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Interesting pointers Sneagle.

Thanks.

Tony

TonyGamble
May 12th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I bought Frontpage and am totally satisfied.

I have a friend who wants to set up a web site and still needs persuading that time is money. In other words the person would rather spend time struggling rather than spend money buying the best tools.

With that in mind I looked at those freebie sites and, maybe by chance, decided to download and try Nvu as it said it was a look-a-like to Frontpage.

Armed with a copy of Frontpage for Dummies and a copy of Nvu I reckon you can make a lot of progress in a little time. And time is money........

Tony