PDA

View Full Version : Canon 20 D

abuelo
January 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I was happily using Downloader and Breezebrowser (neither Pro) before I bought my Canon 20D. Do I need Downloader Pro to get files? I get the 'Camera not recognized" from old Downloader connected to the new camera.
abuelo

Chris Breeze
January 17th, 2005, 10:07 PM
The original Downloader was written at least two years before the 20D was announced and can't download images directly from the camera. You can use it to download 20D JPEGs with a card reader but not raw files (the CR2 raw format also wasn't around when the original Downloader was written). Downloader Pro supports both JPEGs and raw files from the 20D and downloading from the camera or a card reader. I recommend using a USB 2.0 card reader though because it is much faster than downloading directly from the camera.

Regards,

Chris

abuelo
January 18th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks, Chris, looks like I'll go for the double upgrade
Abuelo

gyrodave
January 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM
According to Canon, the 20D is equipped with a USB 2.0 port.

But, I sure find it easier to use a cardreader. I upgraded to a firewire reader for around $30. Firewire can sustain a higher xfer speed than USB 2.0. :)

Chris Breeze
January 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM
The speed of a card reader largely depends on the chipset it uses and the speed of the CF card. I get a download speed of around 7Mb/sec with a Lexar 512Mb CF card and SanDisk USB 2.0 card reader but an older SanDisk card reader which looks identical only manages 4.5Mb/sec.

Downloading directly from the 20D via the USB 2.0 is moderately fast at around 2.5Mb/sec (10 times faster than a 10D). The biggest problem is the initial listing of the files is very slow. I always use a card reader because I find it more convenient to have the card reader permanently connected to the PC rather than fiddling connecting a USB cable to the camera and it is around 3 times faster.