PDA

View Full Version : Email JPEGS straight from within BB

Unbound
January 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Using BB 2.11B2

When I create and email images directly from within BB, using Thunderbird as the email client, the recipients receive files with the extension ".tmp", instead of the ".jpg" that I would expect. This causes problems when people detach the files and try to open them in some 'other' program.
Is there any way to make the files have the ".jpg" extension?

Edward

Chris Breeze
January 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM
It sounds as though Thunderbird doesn't fully support MAPI. BB asks Windows for a temporary file for the JPEG which returns a filename with a .tmp extension and passes this to the email client giving it the same name as the original JPEG. The email client should be able to handle the fact that the attachment file and the name it should use are different.

Regards,

Chris

Unbound
January 17th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Interestingly, although the attachments are displayed with a ".tmp" name, the mail reader knows how to handle them, and displays the images below the message correctly, so it does know that they are Jpeg files. It's only when they are detached or saved that the ".tmp" extension seems to stay with the file, and the file attachment list in the Mail reader has only ".tmp" files listed.

All in all, the combo of FoxFire, Thunderbird and Openoffice have worked very very well for me, and I highly recommend the software to anyone wanting to start moving away from MS controlled software.

Edward

Unbound
February 1st, 2005, 06:35 PM
The problem with the Thunderbird email client not keeping the correct extension when doing a "mail to:" from within BreezeBrowser has been fixed, and is available in the most recent build of Thunderbird. The problem was affecting all "pass-thru" attachments, be it JPG, XLS, DOC or whatever.

Edward