PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Slideshow

JonnyBeeFL
July 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hi

:) Well, there's a first time for everything. I've had BreezeBrowser Pro for several years a NEVER had a glitch. So I thought it was perfect (and it may be). And I think this is not really Breezebrowser - its a javascript issue

Recently I decided to change my web galleries to the 'slideshow' option. And I have run into an error when running them. I suspect the problem is in the matter of browser nomenclature in Javascript.

I have a site that uses a navigation bar at the top. That navigation bar is in the top frame (named 'header') of a frameset. The 'gallery' is in the bottom frame (named 'main').

After the gallery is generated and linked in, the 'main' frame contains 'index.htm'.

when you click for the Slideshow, it starts correctly.

In one circumstance only (that I have found) it does not work correctly.

When running under IE6 or IE7 on XP, Windows 2000, or W2K3, if you click on 'Index' while the slideshow is running you get an HTTP 404 file not found error.

All the other buttons work correctly in IE while embedded in the frame: Previous, Stop Slideshow, Restart Slideshow, Next.

If the slideshow is run in a 'new window' in either version of IE it works correctly, and in IE7 it works correctly in 'new window' or 'new tab'.

I have tested this with Firefox, 2.0.05, Opera 9.2.1, and Safari Beta for Windows. - no problems when embedded in a frame. SO it seems to be an IE specific error.

Unfortunately, I am at a loss on this. :confused: I'm not a javascript expert, and opening an orphan window to run the slideshow in is not an attractive option in the age of popup squashers.

I suspect the solution lies in a javascript argument that references the named frame.

Anyone have any ideas?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w267/mr_jeex/vox/mr_jeex-40.png

P.S. Thanks Chris for a very fine product...

JonnyBeeFL
July 29th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hi again

After a bit of 'accidental' detective work, I have isolated what is happening.

I decided to try embedding the navbar and opening page in an Included Content page (to avoid using a frameset), and published it as 'index.htm' in the root directory of the article.

Guess What? - NO MORE 404! IE reloads the index.htm file in the parent directory (in this case my included content page).

Armed with that I made a workaround that requires editing.

I copied the index.htm (generated by breezebrowse) from 'gallery'
to the 'article' folder. I then edited the HTML for the 'click here for slideshow' to point to '/gallery/index.htm'. This is an awful workaround as I normally populate sites with an index.htm in each folder that redirects to the 'real opener' as a 'safety measure'. (allows for "/' subsites).

my folder structure looks like this.

/article

frameset.htm
article.htm
index.htm /gallery

index.htm
pic-1.htm
pic-2.htm

I'm pretty sure I have this stated correctly, and I no longer get the errors.

The fix works across browsers as the other browsers still find the correct/original index.htm.

But like I said, its an awful workaround and won't work with a different site's content rotation which relies on finding 'index.htm' files that are the 'openers' for a folder.

thanks again
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w267/mr_jeex/vox/mr_jeex-40.png