PDA

View Full Version : JP2 display different from TIFF

nickdu
August 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
First of all, I'm new to BreezeBrowser Pro. I'm looking over my raw photo's to see if any need adjustments (somewhat new to this too). My goal is to produce an image that I can send to some online photo printing place in a lossless format (will compose a separate message on this topic). So I'm playing with image conversion a bit. For one picture (not sure if this is consistent) I converted to both jpeg 2000 (100% quality) and TIFF 8 bit. When I viewed (main view) those converted images in BreezeBrowser Pro the jp2 image was jagged in some spots while the TIFF image looked the same as the raw image. The actual image of both the jp2 and TIFF image appeared to be the same. Is there a reason for this? Since I use the main view often to determine if the picture needs any adjustments it would be ideal for that view to render as nice a picture as possible.

Nick

Chris Breeze
August 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I think this is because the graphics library reads TIFFs at full resolution and then resizes the image data to fit the display whereas JPEG 2000 are read at the smallest resolution above the required size and then resized. If this resolution is close to the display size the small amount of resizing may introduce jaggies. If you compare both images at 100% resolution they should be identical as both TIFF and JPEG 2000 at 100% quality are lossless.