PDA

View Full Version : Improving High Volume Workflow Using Barcode ID

parent55
August 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hello Chris, I raised this issue 18 months ago on this forum and it didn't get much traction. You have done a number of enhancements to help the professional improve their work flow, so I would like to raise this feature again as a possibility. There are several SDKs available to do the actual recognition and decode, so the issue is how to integrate one of those into BB Pro.

As before, I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for someone to do this for me.

Here is what I wrote about this in my last post:

I am a long time user and fan of your products. We do a great deal of our work focused on High School Portrait packages, Sports and photo ID production. The Portrait business continues to be good and the ID business has improved substantially in the past few years. You could help all of us that do this type of work by assisting us with some workflow automation. There are of course more applications for this idea.

What we do: When school starts, we have short time to photograph each of about 2,000 or so students and staff. We make this work by giving each subject a ½ sheet of white paper that we have preprinted their name and ID information upon. They hold this up in the first frame of the sequence and then we take several more photos to get one that is “good”. We use downloader Pro to move the image from the digital memory cards to our computer.

Later back in the office we use BreezeBrowser to go through the 8 thousand or so images that we took. For each sequence we look at the first picture with the Barcode and the ID info. We read and manually type that information using it to rename the jpg file name to add the info and keeping the frame number. That way we can locate the picture sequence for a particular subject. At the same time we look at the additional 3 or 4 pictures we took and select one as “The” Portrait or ID photo and then also manually rename that photo to add the info (keeping the unique frame number of course). This is a huge task and takes two of us several of days full time to do. Not the fun part of the business, sigh.

Here is how you can help: You can save us most of 6-8 person-days of post-shoot office time if BreezeBrowser could:

1) Detect the picture with the paper holding the barcode and assume it is the first in a sequence of frames for one subject

2) Read the barcode to get the ID information (we can format the barcode to contain whatever works for you in whatever code format works for you)

3) Rename each frame in the sequence by adding the ID info to the existing frame number (a token approach would allow us to format the file name with the pieces in the most useful order)

4) Be able to work “across” the folder boundary when the picture sequence spans the sequential folders created by the camera

5) Walk me through those sequences where you could not read the barcode so I can manually enter the ID info and then proceed with the renaming of that sequence

For step 3 you could offer us the option of sitting at the computer and watching you read the barcode, bringing up thumbnails for just one sequence at a time and let us pick “The” ID picture in the sequence we want to use and then as you rename the sequence of frames you would include an additional bit of text in the name of that one frame that indicates it is “The One” for the ID. That way later we could ask BreezeBrowser to only show us, for example, the first frames (barcode info frames) or just “The” ID frames previously selected in a folder of frame sequences.

This would be incredibly helpful for those of us that have volume production businesses where we work with frame sequences and have the ability to place a big barcode into a photo at the front of a sequence.

I’ll be interested in everyone's reaction to my idea. In any event thanks for taking the time to consider it.

Warmest Regards from a Happy Customer, Rich

Richard Parenteau, Managing Partner
QuickCycle Photo, LLC 518 Kinross Court, Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Chris Breeze
August 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to scan the barcode when the photo is taken? If you use DSLR Remote Pro you should be able to setup a barcode scanner to scan in the number into the comment field and then use this as the filename prefix. The first shot of the sequence could still include the barcode ID and student name just in case.