PDA

View Full Version : s3IS and raw

Martin in Montreal
August 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Since Canon, in their wisdom, decided to leave out the raw option in the menu of the s3IS, I've been giving CHDK (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK)a whirl. It adds several options to the camera, including the possibility of shooting raw. The internal firmware is not touched since all the extras are run from the SD card.

Now the issue is how to use the resulting images. My current BB Pro version 1.7 doesn't recognize the crw files, just shows a red X in place of an image. If I do try to convert anyway, BB Pro crashes. :(

Any chance that the built-in raw converter can be taught to work with these files? Then I could have the raw image features from my old s50 in a newer s3IS body that also has a better lens, IS, flip screen, etc. :)

Chris Breeze
August 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Sorry, there's no chance of supporting raw files from a hacked firmware version of the S3 IS unless they can be made to look exactly like raw files from a camera which does officially support raw files. BBPro uses the Canon raw conversion libraries to convert Canon raw files and these only work with models which officially support raw.

Martin in Montreal
August 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hmmm, guess we'll have to wait until Canon officially recognizes that they made an error in not offering RAW in their s3IS and makes a firmware update. The JPGs from the s3IS are very good as is but sometimes you need a bit extra that only a RAW file can provide. . Do I hear DSLR? Three words, size weight, cost.

Yah, I know, something will freeze over first but we can hope.

Meanwhile, that CHDK trick is not a hack in the traditional meaning since the original firmware is not changed. It's only an external program that can only make the camera do what is already in there. Erase the SD card and nothing has changed inside. That RAW file can't be that exotic since Picasa and other image viewers can see it. :eek:

DavidB
August 23rd, 2007, 12:15 AM
That RAW file can't be that exotic since Picasa and other image viewers can see it.
But it isn't a Canon format, so Canon libraries (perhaps by deliberate choice) won't read it. Welcome to the world of proprietary, closed systems.

Will the file convert to DNG in Adobe's (free) converter? BB Pro can read DNG files.