PDA

View Full Version : keyword feature request

crgunn
August 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to add keyword hotkey shortcuts kind of like Lightroom has.
I was using the trial of Lightroom to keyword my images and loved that feature, but I can't see spending $300 for keywording.
If you're not familiar with it, basically, it lets you assign the last 9 most recently/frequently used keywords by holding down the alt key and pressing 1thru 9 on the number pad.
This was really handy for keywording family members in pictures. The list of people doesn't change very often, but the people in each picture change from picture to picture

Chris Breeze
August 23rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
It's an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

crgunn
September 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the quick response to my request.

If it's not too hard, a few more changes would make this even more useful.

Allow pressing Alt + num again to remove that keyword, so you can quickly correct yourself if you hit the wrong key.

Add a field to the main screen to show the current keywords assigned to an image, like it currently has for image comments.

Add a small grid just below the keyword display to show keyword shortcut reminders. The grid would be arraged like the keys on the num pad, i.e.
Chris | Wendy | Megan

if it's not hard you could also update the grid to show the number to press when the alt key is held down like this

7 Chris | 8 Wendy | 9 Megan

Allow pressing Ctrl-K or something to type keywords directly into the keyword display field.

Manually editing the keywords with Ctrl-K would then update the list of keywork shortcuts to include the new words you just typed (since they'd likely be needed in upcoming pictures). If you can keep an MRU list of keywords, then you can sort the order of the keyword shortcuts to include the new words added to this picture, and keep the most used words that were there in the previous batch of shortcuts. Lightroom seems to put the MRU list in reverse numerical order, so the most recently used keyword is 9 and the least is 1, that way they are at the top of the display and seen more quickly. So from the prior example, if I hit Ctrl-K and typed Birthday, and hadn't been using Megan much recently and had been using Ethan alot, the new list might look like

7 Wendy | 8 Ethan | 9 Birthday

At first it may seem like having the shortcuts change might be counter productive, but with the onscreen display of the shortcuts, in actual use it worked very well.

If this would use up too much gui realestate, maybe it's display could be optional.