PDA

View Full Version : Legacy IPTC Description Field**Previously posted to wrong forum**

Ian Leonard
August 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hello group, **Previously posted to wrong forum**

I am having a problem with the description field in the XMP/IPTC dialogue.

We have a number of Hasselblad H2D39s and for some reson the Hasselblad software insists on placeing the string *temp* into the description fields. We have been using BB for some time and most (all?) of our installations are now the latest version of BBPro.

Problem 1. descriptions entered with older versions of BB only updates the IIM(?) field leaving the XMP field with *temp*

Problem 2. descriptions entered with newer versions of BBPro only updates the XMP field leaving the IIM(?) field with *temp*

Problem 3. Some images appear to have correct captions in both the XMP and IIM field but Extensis Portfolio is still extracting *temp* from somewhere else. I have searched through all the PS file info but cannot find where this is stored.

Ideal solution if possible. latest version of BBPro writes entered description to ALL possible areas.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ian Leonard
Wiltshire UK

DavidB
August 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
It is quite surprising just how many fields in the complex EXIF/IPTC data structure 'ALL possible areas' could comprise. One thing you could do is download the freeware EXIFTool (not to be confused with EXIFTools, which is not free) from this site (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/), and use the drag-and-drop variant to read all the metadata in your Hasselblad files. This should enable you to see where the unwanted data is hiding.

Cameras typically do not generate IPTC data, though something as exotic (to me) as your Hasselblad could be an exception. So the *temp* could be starting out as, say, the EXIF UserComment (which cameras typically leave blank), and then be propagated to your IPTC fields by settings in BB Pro, Portfolio or both. Again, using EXIFTool between different stages of your workflow might help you to diagnose what is happening.

As you posted originally to the DL Pro forum, I wonder if you are using DL Pro to add IPTC data? I tend to add a basic set of data in DL Pro and then edit if necessary in BB Pro. This approach could also help to ensure that your IPTC fields are not accidentally populated with unwanted data.

I hope this helps.

Ian Leonard
August 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
David B wrote:

>Cameras typically do not generate IPTC data, though something as exotic (to me) as your Hasselblad could be an exception

Probably not an exception but ONLY Hasselblad software will convert the 3fr raw files so I suspect it's being added then.

>One thing you could do is download the freeware EXIFTool

Unfortunately it would take weeks to get our IT people to install this, even if they agreed to.

> I wonder if you are using DL Pro to add IPTC data

No, just an error, DLPro wouldn'r recognise the 3fr files anyway, (for metadata purposes).

>though something as exotic (to me) as your Hasselblad

x10 with 10 phots so many images with *temp*....

The description *temp* must be being stored somewhere other than xmp or Iptc iim, maybe.

Thanks anyway.

Ian Leonarde
Wiltshire UK

Chris Breeze
August 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM
BreezeBrowser Pro added support for IPTC/XMP data in v1.5. If you have earlier versions they will only support the old IPTC IIM standard and won't be able to read or update XMP data. BBPro v1.5 onwards writes XMP data and has the option to also write legacy IPTC IIM data (but please note that IPTC/XMP has many more fields than IPTC IIM but surprisingly doesn't include all the fields that IPTC IIM supports).

If an image contains both IPTC/XMP data and IPTC IIM data BBPro will use the IPTC/XMP data but you can still access the IPTC IIM data using tokens e.g. @IPTC_IIM_caption@ (or by right clicking on the image and selecting "Show tokens".

I'm sorry I can't help you with the problems with Extensis Portfolio. It's possible "temp" is being stored in an EXIF field (e.g. UserComments or Description) or if it is a Photoshop PSD file it might be stored in a Photoshop IRB block.

DavidB
August 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately it would take weeks to get our IT people to install this, even if they agreed to.
That must be a real pain for you. It can be really difficult to get IT people to understand that they are a service and not an executive function.

Chris has given you a partial answer, however. The BB Pro tokens display is not quite as comprehensive as EXIFTool, but it's a lot easier to read. And it will show you what's happening to pretty much everything that BB Pro recognises.

The description *temp* must be being stored somewhere other than xmp or Iptc iim, maybe.
In the absence of other evidence, I still suspect that it starts life in the EXIF UserComment. Does your Hasselblad demean itself so far as to produce JPEG images that BB Pro or whatever can read directly, without intervention by any other software? If so, do these images contain the *temp* marker, and in which tokens?

Ian Leonard
August 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Ah, the "Show comments" is useful but shows no data in EXIF comment.

The Hasselblads only shoot 3fr rraw and so one MUST use flexcolor to convert.

None of the Caption Description fields displayed in "Show Comments" shows *temp*

I'm stumped.

Thanks anyway.

Ian Leonard
Wiltshire UK

DavidB
August 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
If you like, I'll send you my email address in a private message, so you can email me a converted JPEG which shows the problem behaviour, and I can run it through EXIFTool. The JPEG doesn't need to be big, but just to retain all the metadata. A BB Pro resized proof would be fine.

Ian Leonard
September 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Yes, i'd like to do that.

Ian Leonard
Wiltshire UK