PDA

View Full Version : Printed text watermarks change size based on photo resolution

CCC
January 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Problem:

I have photos with multiple resolutions. Since I use 2 different cameras and I often crop the photos. virtually every photo has a different resolution.
In the Proof's watermark functionality - you must choose a "point" size for the text.

Bad Result:
The watermark text changes sizes based on the resolution of the source file. But, I want all the watermarks to look the same size when the photo is printed.

Request: (this is the simplest UI I can think of)
In the Appearance section fo the Watermark Settings... dialog, add a "Planned Output Size" under the "Font". Let the user choose from a half dozen stardard sizes (in version 2 let them specify a custom size). Sizes like
3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, default (current estimate)

Good Result:
If I choose 14 point on a 4 x 6 print - no matter what the resolution of the photo BreezeBrowser will calculate the actual pixel size to write into the proof. When I line up the printed results the text will look the same size in every photo :-)

Chris Breeze
January 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Do you get the right sized text if you use proofs to resize the image and specify the dimensions in inches/mm and DPI? There shouldn't much difference in the final quality due to the resizing because your printer driver would probably have to resize the images with different resolutions anyway. This seems the simplest solution.

CCC
January 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I have avoided this because it requires two resizes
1. One by me (OK by BBPro) to normalize everything
2. Resized again by the printer driver.

Resizing does impact quality - so I have not tried this solution.
I would like the enhancement in BBPro, then there is only one resize - at the printing step.

However, I will try normalizing photos to one resolution and see if I can visually see the results in the printouts. FYI - I'm using a photo store to print, not a home printer.

Hey - and it makes another nice feature only in the Pro version :-)

----
I originally purchased BB in 2002 because it was the only tool I could find with watermarking based on internal jpeg data (EXIF, IPTC). Since then I have made Breezesys key to my digital workflow – starting the DLPro. Keep up the good work Chris.

Chris Breeze
January 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I do this all the time and haven't had any problems with image quality. I generally resize proofs to 6x4 at 240 dpi and get them printed by Jessops (a big photo chain in the UK) and have been very pleased with the results and the price (10p/photo). I don't know the resolution of their printers, but they are alomost certainly resizing the images again.

rod evans
January 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Chris

How do you get Jessops prints at 10p each!!!!

Their on-line services is 34p and the best price in the shop for a three day turnround is £0.15p for 40+ prints....

Can I get some!!

Rod

Chris Breeze
January 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM
I took a batch of 60 prints to their Basingstoke store just before Christmas and they charged 10p each for 24 hour turnaround. I can also recommend http://www.proamimaging.com for larger prints - 60 10x8 prints for 40p each plus postage, I posted the CD to them on Tuesday and received the prints on Thursday.