PDA

View Full Version : Renaming old files

gunars
March 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I have a large number of existing images (about 15k jpg files). I've installed the demo version and tried it on smaller sets of files to rename them into a new folder hierarchy based on date stamps. This worked ok on smaller sets, but when I pointed DLPro at the main folder of images (with many subfolders), DLPro looked like it was first trying to collect information on all the files before starting to copy ... after about 2000 files, it started bogging down and I finally killed it. It seems DLPro is not expecting to normally work on such a large set of files.

gunars
March 29th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Is this something that might be fixed in the upcoming release? Otherwise, I'm planning to "migrate into" DLPro by moving smaller batches of directories into a work area and importing from there. Is that the best approach for now?

Chris Breeze
March 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I've only tested this with around 8000 images (a mixture of raws and JPEGs) on Windows XP Pro and it works fine. It's possible that older pseudo 32-bit versions of Windows (98 and ME) might have problems with very large numbers as some of the UI elements might only be able to handle 16-bit values. What version of Windows are you using?

gunars
March 30th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I'm running Win XP Pro SP1 on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 512 Mb ram and plenty of hard disk space. Last night, I tried this again. The first 1400 or so files went ok and then it started slowing down. By the time it got to about 2200 files, it was obvious that going through all 15k files would take way too long and I killed it.

This is certainly not a usual situation and I can work on smaller batches by moving a set of directories into a working directory -- I was just checking what the expected behaviour was.

By the way, these directories contain not only the original jpgs, but also small thumbnails for each. When I process these through DLP, I would prefer to leave out the thumbnails. Is there any way to automatically do this (e.g. ignore files less than 20k)?

Gunars

Chris Breeze
April 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I've just tested this again on a larger directory of 20,000 images (a mixture of raw, TIFF and JPEG images from a variety of cameras and sources) and it worked without any problems. It's difficult to know what else to suggest other than to break the download up into smaller chunks.

There isn't a way to setup DLPro to ignore certain files. What you could do is use search in Windows Explorer to list all the JPEGs after downloading, sort by file size and delete all the smaller files if you don't want them.