PDA

View Full Version : Tethered 20D

Griffitg
January 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Does the current remoteDLSR support the 20D, and if so, what are the benefits of using it over the version of capture that comes with the camera?

Chris Breeze
January 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM
There is a beta version of DSLR Remote Pro with support for the 20D. This gives much more control over the camera settings than the software supplied with the camera and a larger preview image. There are some reliability problems with the Canon SDK when used with the 20D and I'm trying to workaround the problem.

You can download the beta from:
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/support.htm

RonnyMills
January 19th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Chris

Are you looking for beta feedback? If so, do you have a special "beta" forum? Let me know, I have a 20D.

Ronny

Chris Breeze
January 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Please either post your feedback here or email it to [email protected].

louie
February 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Hi, i'm leaning to upgrading my 10D to a 20D but waiting for DSLR remote Pro to support it. How does it look?

Chris Breeze
February 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM
The latest version is DSLR Remote Pro v1.1 beta 5 which can be downloaded from:
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/support.htm

There are some problems with the Canon SDK when using a 20D which can cause lockups. Setting DSLR Remote Pro to ignore UI update events (selectable from the "Camera" menu) makes it much more reliable.

mitchH
March 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I'm using the Beta software downloaded today.
I get a error message "H/W Error 0x00000003" when I set the Custom Function to enable Mirror lockup on the camera body.

I have "ignore UI update events" selected from the Camera menu per this thread.

Turning off the MLU on the camera returns capture ability.

Everything else works fine.

Other than that, I like the DLSR Remote Pro program much better than EOS Capture!

Is there some way to set MLU using DSLR RP ?

Thanks
Mitch Hull

Chris Breeze
March 4th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Previous cameras work with MLU when the self timer is selected but this doesn't appear to be the case with the 20D, 1DMkII and 1DsMkII. I think you can use MLU if you trigger the shutter using shutter release on the camera.

mitchH
March 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Chris, you're right, I can get MLU when tripping the shutter release on the camera, using the self-timer mode--you get 2 seconds between mirror up and shutter opening.

I believe I can use a remote shutter release as well, will check into that.

Sure would be nice to have DSLR RP trip the shutter, though--funny since it DOES read the MLU status OK.

Mitch

Chris Breeze
March 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Canon will be releasing a new SDK to support the 350D/Rebel XT soon (i.e. within the next few months) and I'm hoping they will fix some of the problems with the current SDK when controlling newer cameras like the 20D.