PDA

View Full Version : Recover old settings etc. after reinstall?

Nill Toulme
June 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm having to rebuild my workstation from scratch after a catastrophic
crash. Data was well backed up, but my OS/apps disk image, while good
enough to recover files from, is not good enough to produce a bootable
system, so I'm back to reinstalling everything from the ground up. :-(

After reinstalling BB Pro and DL Pro, what files can I restore to recover my
settings, prefs, HTML templates, etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks,

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

DavidB
June 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Nill

There's good news and there's bad news.

Good

Settings files for each folder are in that folder; breezebrowser.dat for the viewing order, and tagged_files.txt for the tags.
IPTC and Proofs templates will be wherever you saved them.
HTML templates will be in correspondingly named sub-folders of the templates folder within the BB Pro install folder.
Saved RAW conversion settings are in the .XMP files already associated with the RAW file (nice!).

Bad
Anything set or saved in Preferences is stored in the Registry :( . There is a feature (File|Export BreezeBrowser Pro settings) to backup the settings to a hive (.reg) file. If, as seems likely, you did not do this, you are into loading your old, offline registry hives (which can be done in regedit32, but using a process that scares even me, so, if you don't mind, I won't explain it). The settings are all in the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BreezeSystems\BreezeBro wserPro\100

if you have the expertise and confidence to pursue this option further.

Hope this helps.

David

Nill Toulme
June 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks David. I think I can live with the Good and skip the Bad. ;-)

Any thoughts on DL Pro? That's less of a concern, really just settings like my file and folder strings and such.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

DavidB
June 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Any thoughts on DL Pro? That's less of a concern, really just settings like my file and folder strings and such.
I think the only things DL Pro saves in a file (other than the images!) are IPTC template files. Everything else is in the Registry :( . DL Pro also has a feature to export its settings. I guess you now want to use it as much as its BB Pro counterpart.

David

Nill Toulme
June 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
OK, thanks again.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net