PDA

View Full Version : Canon PowerShot G9 Access violation after Proof

cppcodeguru
June 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hello,
I've got BBPro 1.8 and a Canon PowerShot G9. If I do a Proofs... I get the following error:
"Error: Access violation at 0x052015F5 ... program terminated" .
I did a Proofs... on one selected image that contains a RAW and jpeg (Linked). I t's the RAW that causes the problem, because its new in 1.8 and I made the test with (not Linked) RAW+JPEG. The CR2 (RAW) causes the problem.

Kind regards,

Andreas.

DavidB
June 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Can you convert the RAW normally in the RAW conversion dialogue?

If I recall correctly, Canon are no longer supporting PowerShot RAW formats in their SDK, so, for the G9, BB Pro uses the DCRAW library. I suppose it's possible that there's a bug in Proofs which causes it to access the wrong library for G9 RAW images. I shall be interested to see Chris's response.

cppcodeguru
June 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hello,
yes the conversion in the RAW conversion dialog works.
Why didn't Canon support PowerShot RAW in their SDK?

DavidB
June 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Why didn't Canon support PowerShot RAW in their SDK?
They're not saying (at least as far as I know). There may be a perception of commercial cost/benefit, and Canon does make some pretty strange decisions sometimes.

More likely, it's a dislike of anything that makes their system more open. For generations, the main camera makers have worked a business model based on customer lock-in, firstly in competition with each other, and more recently in competion with the likes of Adobe. In PowerShots, unlike DSLRs, RAW formats are one of the few things Canon can hold on to as proprietary.

Chris Breeze
June 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry, there is a problem with proofing G9 raw images with BBPro v1.8. This has been fixed in the latest development build which can be downloaded from http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/bbpro180dev080616.exe

cppcodeguru
June 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks, the dev. version works :-)