PDA

View Full Version : Altitude when Geo-Tagging from Google Earth?

dandill
July 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
First, the Geo-Tagging feature is really well done. Thanks!

Is there a way to also capture altitude when Geo-Tagging using Google Earth?

Dan

DavidB
July 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
The Google Earth screen provides 'elevation' data. But

can it be read in the same way as the latitude and longitude data?
is it reasonably accurate (quick tests here suggest that might be an issue for people requiring great accuracy)?
does the data definition correspond (or can it be translated) to the definition of the EXIF tag?

At least the data is given in metres, which is certainly an EXIF requirement.

dandill
July 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Good questions, David.

My original question was prompted by my exploring GeoSetter (currently free) which allows similar after-the-fact Geo-tagging (using Google Maps) that picks up elevation too. In the limited examples I have tried its can be quite accurate.

In fact, just now I pointed GeoSetter to the .cr2 file, told it to go to its location as marked by BBP, and then told it to update, which added the altitude, which is 11m (the image was taken on a hill about 1000 m from Boston Harbor.

DavidB
July 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
... GeoSetter (currently free) which allows similar after-the-fact Geo-tagging (using Google Maps)that picks up elevation too. In the limited examples I have tried its can be quite accurate.
This does suggest that adding elevation data is in the art of the possible.

... the altitude, which is 11m (the image was taken on a hill about 1000 m from Boston Harbor).
... so 11m counts as a hill in Boston? Even on our small island, you'd have to be a good deal higher than that.

dandill
July 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
.. so 11m counts as a hill in Boston? Even on our small island, you'd have to be a good deal higher than that.
Ouch! ;-)

To add to the tale, our street ascends Breed's Hill, topped by the Bunker Hill Monument commemorating the Battle of Bunker Hill, which took place on June 17, 1775 on Breed's Hill, as part of the Siege of Boston during the American Revolutionary War.

Chris Breeze
July 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Google Earth provides elevation data when you display a location in the app itself but unfortunately doesn't return the elevation when queried by another app. The interface provides a field for the altitude but currently this is always 0. Hopefully Google will fix this in a future release of Google Earth.

dandill
July 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
OK, thanks.

In the meantime, would it make sense to provide a field to manually add the altitude?

DavidB
July 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Google Earth ... doesn't return the elevation when queried by another app ... Hopefully Google will fix this in a future release of Google Earth.
I wondered how, in these circumstances, GeoSetter (mentioned by Dan) assigns elevation data. The answer appears to be that it uses the Google Maps interface rather than Google Earth.

Geosetter is not a stand-alone application, but a front end to EXIFTool. It's quite an impressive and usable piece of work, but nothing beats the convenience of having the geo-tagging feature right there in the browser.

Chris Breeze
July 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think I've found a way to read the altitude provided the terrain layer in Google Earth is turned on. I need to investigate this further and hopefully will be able to include it in the next update.

DavidB
July 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I think I've found a way to read the altitude provided the terrain layer in Google Earth is turned on. I need to investigate this further and hopefully will be able to include it in the next update.
Thank you, Chris. When one starts adding the data, it's nice to add it all.

Just to be cheeky, is it also possible to add a 'tag selected' button to the dialogue, so that one can tag multiple images with the same geodata?

Chris Breeze
July 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you, Chris. When one starts adding the data, it's nice to add it all.

Just to be cheeky, is it also possible to add a 'tag selected' button to the dialogue, so that one can tag multiple images with the same geodata?

Actually, I've just finished work on adding a "Tag All" button. I'm now working on adding support for the Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS and hope to have a new beta ready next week.

DavidB
July 30th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Actually, I've just finished work on adding a "Tag All" button.Thank you, Chris. Unmatched quality of service, in my view.

dandill
August 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I think I've found a way to read the altitude provided the terrain layer in Google Earth is turned on. I need to investigate this further and hopefully will be able to include it in the next update.In beta 2 Altitude and Tag All work perfectly.

Just great! Thanks.

rchuri
August 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM
I hate to break the trend, but--

-No problem with my Canon 40D-works great

-I also have a Canon Rebel XT
-Neither Beta1 or Beta2 will add GPS data (single file or 'tag all' option) to the JPG file created by the camera
-Beta1 and Beta2 do add GPS data to the CR2 file
-They also add GPS data to a jpg file derived from the RAW converter or from a CS3 'SAVE AS'.

Bob

Chris Breeze
August 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I've justed tested it on a number of JPEGs from my 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D and 1000D cameras and geo-tagging appears to work correctly. Please can you send a sample JPEG to [email protected] and I'll take a look at it.