PDA

View Full Version : GPS data in .psd (Photoshop) file not dispalyed in Adobe Bridge

dandill
July 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I have Geo-Tagged a .cr2 and its corresponding .psd file with BBPro.

Adobe Bridge displays GPS data in the Metadata panel of the .cr2, but not in the Metadata panel of the .psd.

Is this a question to address to Adobe?

Thanks
Dan Dill

DavidB
July 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Is this a question to address to Adobe?Probably.

The standard latitude/longtitude tags are EXIF. As far as I know, .PSD files do not contain EXIF as such, but only the subset of EXIF data which is in the EXIF schema of XMP. This does include the geodata tags, so Photoshop ought to handle them correctly

I have been able to confirm that the geodata is indeed written to .PSD files and shows up clearly in BB Pro. I have also found that a .PSD copy (made in PSE 6) of a JPEG which already contained geodata also contains that data. I do not have Photoshop on my system, but this starts to look like a problem in Bridge.

The 'geo-tagging with Google Earth' feature is, on first acquaintance, very impressive indeed, and already fully usable in the beta.

rchuri
July 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The 'geo-tagging with Google Earth' feature is, on first acquaintance, very impressive indeed, and already fully usable in the beta.

Works great. How about the case where a group of photos are taken at the same location. Do I have to step through each one individually to add the GPS data to each file?
Would be handy if I could add GPS data to one and then some batch feature to add to the rest. I guess we always want more!!
Bob

DavidB
July 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Would be handy if I could add GPS data to one and then some batch feature to add to the rest.I was thinking the selfsame thing. Something like this would be ideal for geo-tagging the archive.

dandill
July 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Is this a question to address to Adobe?

I have just now asked at Adobe, but I have a little more to report:

Opening the BBP Geo-tagged PSD in Photoshop gives the message that the file "contains info data that cannot be read and will be ignored." When I convert this PSD to JPG (using Dr. Brown's 1-2-3 process), the resulting JPG contains no GPS data.

Creating a PSD file from the BBP Geo-tagged CR2 file results in a PSD that *does* show the GPS data, re-opens in Photoshop without complaint, and passes the data to the JPG.

Could this mean there is an alternative way for BBP to tag PSD's that keeps Bridge and Photoshop happy?

DavidB
July 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Could this mean there is an alternative way for BBP to tag PSD's that keeps Bridge and Photoshop happy?
... or have Adobe been making unilateral changes to the 'standard' XMP spec, again?

It is possible that the problem is with the Bridge catalogue/database, rather than with the image data as such. If Elements' editor (which shares a lot of code with it big sibling) has no trouble with the image metadata, as seems to be the case, then the problem may be that the catalogue is finding data that it does not recognise. You could try deleting the problem files from the catalogue and re-importing them, to see if that makes a difference.

dandill
July 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
It is possible that the problem is with the Bridge catalogue/database, rather than with the image data as such.
Though, independent of Bridge, just opening the PSD in Photoshop causes Photoshop to signal unreadable file info data.

DavidB
July 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Should have asked this earlier - which version of Photoshop?

Chris Breeze
July 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I've just tested this on my system by using BBPro to geo-tag a PSD created with CS2. Both CS2 and CS3 and their respective versions of Bridge were able to read the GPS data by going to File Info and looking in the Advanced->EXIF properties section. I don't have PhotoShop CS installed on my system and haven't tested it to see whether it can read the GPS data.

Messages like "contains info data that cannot be read and will be ignored." usually mean Photoshop/Bridge can't parse the EXIF or XMP data. If it finds any error however small in any section of the XMP data Photoshop will ignore it all whereas BBPro does its best to read what data it can.