PDA

View Full Version : The perfect photo booth camera?

rpvincent
January 12th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I have tried a couple types of canon powershots but can't seem to find one that satisfies all three of these qualities:

[1]Flash Hotshoe
[2]USB 2 speed
[3]Turns back on after power lost and restored

The main tradeoff seems to be that earlier models often had the auto power on feature but were only USB 1.1

Here's the list of the cameras I've tried that don't satisfy all three (traits they do have are indicated):

S2 (2,3)
S5 (1,2)
G5 (1,3)
G9 (1,2)
G10 (1,2)
SX100 (2)
SX110 (2)

Has anyone found one that satisfies all three?

Chris Breeze
January 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I've only run a few (non-commercial) photo booths for family parties and prefer to use the Canon EOS 1000D (aka Rebel XS) or Canon EOS 450D (aka Rebel XSi) with DSLR Remote Pro. The 1000D is cheaper than a G10, has a larger and clearer live view display, has good high ISO performance and is much faster than a PowerShot camera.
It also has a hotshoe, USB 2.0 interface and will turn on after a power failure. The only thing that a PowerShot camera has and a DSLR doesn't is the ability to zoom the lens from the PC.

For Nikon owners, the D90 works well in photo booth mode with our Nikon camera control software.

rpvincent
January 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice on the DSLRs. I'm trying to avoid using them because of the finite life of the mirror/shutter. We usually take 500+ images per night. If a booth is working every weekend, the camera would reach it's 50,000-100,000 shutter life span in just a year or two.

Does anyone with a G7, G9, or G10 know if it stays active after power is lost then restored?

rolland_elliott
January 26th, 2009, 04:19 AM
just use an external syched flash with the s2 easy solution and the s2 can be had used for $100

Chris Breeze
January 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the advice on the DSLRs. I'm trying to avoid using them because of the finite life of the mirror/shutter. We usually take 500+ images per night. If a booth is working every weekend, the camera would reach it's 50,000-100,000 shutter life span in just a year or two.

Does anyone with a G7, G9, or G10 know if it stays active after power is lost then restored?

I don't have external power adaptors for the G7, G9 or G10 to test this properly. However, if you turn the camera on then remove the battery and replace it again the camera powers up again automatically and so the answer is probably "Yes". If the camera is turned off though and the power removed and restored the camera remains off.

warwickwater
February 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
To be fair to the 1000D, which was never designed as an industrial booth camera, if it survives even the bottom end of 50,000 shots, then it will have done 100 events before it dies at 500 shots per event. For a £300 / $500 camera that works out l under £/$ 5 per event, so you cant really complain too much!!