PDA

View Full Version : Live View Output Resolutions

Codhod
February 11th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hello All. I have a question that I cant seem to find answers to.

1. I cant seem to find the output resolution of live view from cameras. I.e. Canon G10? what sort of resolution can i expect? or A better question what sort of monitor can I expect a decent image on inside my photobooth?

Any help would be great. I am currently in the startup stage and am trying to determine which camera, monitor combination would be for me.

Chris Breeze
February 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
So far all cameras that support live view only have a single fixed resolution for the live view images but this varies depending on the model.
For Canon PowerShot cameras this is 320x240 pixels
For Nikon DSLRs (D90, D300, D700 and D3) it is 640x426
For Canon DSLRs it depends on the model e.g.
1000D/Rebel XS: 768x512
450D/Rebel XSi: 848x560
40D and 50D: 1024x680

I think the Rebel XS/1000D offers the best price/performance for photobooth operation at the moment. It's approximately the same price as the G10 but has better high ISO image quality and larger live view images. The only downsides are it is a little more complicated to setup, the lens zoom setting can't be set from the PC and its shutter life (quoted by Canon as 50,000 shots) is probably less than a PowerShot camera.

warwickwater
February 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM
A few reviews mention longish shutter delays on 1000D when using the live view (which would obviously be necessary for a booth) - does setting manual focus remove ALL of this delay or reduce it to an acceptable amount to avoid getting lots of 'just looked away' pictures?

Chris Breeze
February 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I just run a few simple timing tests with the 1000D on my system and the shutter delay when taking pictures from live view is approximately 0.8 sec. The live view freezes approximately 0.5 sec before taking the photo. Using manual focus isn't an issue because the camera doesn't auto-focus when taking pictures in live view.

The shutter delay with the G10 is approximately 0.5 sec when using AF lock and anything up to 2 secs when using AF.