PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a photo booth - running into several problems

dfinkel
February 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I am setting up a photobooth and have been experimenting with DSLRemote and PSremote. Although I have the basics worked out, there are several issues and problems I've run into and can't seem to resolve (by experimentation, or research in the help files/forums). Please help if you can!

FYI, I have tried these things with a Canon 40D, Canon Rebel XT, and Powershot G9. Also, I have tried this stuff on two different computers.

1. Perhaps the biggest single issue I have is with the image that gets displayed as the photos are taken. When I have "Seconds to preview..." set to 0, about 1 second before each new image is taken a cropped image shows up in the center 1/3 of the screen. This appears to be the last photo shot before starting the application. I can't figure out how to avoid this.

If I set the "Seconds to preview..." to something else, say 1 second, then what I see is the following sequence:
- about 1 sec before a new image is taken a part of the last image taken in the previous sequence flashes on the center 1/3 of the screen
- then the new picture is taken and that image is previewed full screen
- the countdown sequence continues until about 1 sec before the next shot when the last image (i.e. the first of this new sequence) is seen briefly on screen in the center 1/3
- the new picture is taken and previewed full screen
- and so on until the end of the sequence

What I was expecting is that only the new images would be previewed full screen. I can't figure out any way of getting rid of the prior images.

2. When using the 40D in Photobooth mode with full screen preview, I cannot get it to fire an external strobe connected via synch cable. I've tried cabling this both to the synch port on the side of the camera, and to a Wein hot shoe synch adapter. Note the following:
- I can get the internal flash to work in this mode
- I can get an external Speedlite 580EXII to work in this mode
- I can get an external strobe to work when NOT using full screen preview.
- I can get an external strobe to work with my G9 and the same Wein synch adapter when in Live preview.

3. I cannot get the 40D to focus when using full screen preview in Photobooth mode.

4. On my G9 when I use Live preview, initially I see an image with regular brightness, but after either the first image, or after adjusting the zoom (using external buttons) the image goes dark. I thought at first this was black, but looking very closely it is actually still showing a live preview, but now exceptionally dim. Note that the zoom buttons still work, but I can't see the results in the Live preview.

5. And finally, a feature request. Each image may have a different number of subjects - I want to be able to make 1 print per person, i.e. if there are 3 subjects in an image, I want to be able to make 3 copies of that photostrip. If there are 2 in the next, 2 copies, etc. It would be great to be able to set this on a sequence by sequence basis (ideally by pressing the appropriate numeral on the keyboard either before or after the sequence is taken). I've found a kludge around this for now, (by running 2 monitors and having the full screen app run on only the monitor inside the booth, and using the other desktop to use windows printing features to reprint extra copies). If there is a better way to do this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks for a great product - I hope you can help me make it do the few additional things I'm trying to do.

David

Chris Breeze
February 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am setting up a photobooth and have been experimenting with DSLRemote and PSremote. Although I have the basics worked out, there are several issues and problems I've run into and can't seem to resolve (by experimentation, or research in the help files/forums). Please help if you can!

FYI, I have tried these things with a Canon 40D, Canon Rebel XT, and Powershot G9. Also, I have tried this stuff on two different computers.

1. Perhaps the biggest single issue I have is with the image that gets displayed as the photos are taken. When I have "Seconds to preview..." set to 0, about 1 second before each new image is taken a cropped image shows up in the center 1/3 of the screen. This appears to be the last photo shot before starting the application. I can't figure out how to avoid this.

If I set the "Seconds to preview..." to something else, say 1 second, then what I see is the following sequence:
- about 1 sec before a new image is taken a part of the last image taken in the previous sequence flashes on the center 1/3 of the screen
- then the new picture is taken and that image is previewed full screen
- the countdown sequence continues until about 1 sec before the next shot when the last image (i.e. the first of this new sequence) is seen briefly on screen in the center 1/3
- the new picture is taken and previewed full screen
- and so on until the end of the sequence

What I was expecting is that only the new images would be previewed full screen. I can't figure out any way of getting rid of the prior images.

Please check that the taking.jpg image is the same size or larger than the screen resolution. It sounds as though it may be too small. The next update will pad the images out to fill the screen and display a warning if they are too small.

2. When using the 40D in Photobooth mode with full screen preview, I cannot get it to fire an external strobe connected via synch cable. I've tried cabling this both to the synch port on the side of the camera, and to a Wein hot shoe synch adapter. Note the following:
- I can get the internal flash to work in this mode
- I can get an external Speedlite 580EXII to work in this mode
- I can get an external strobe to work when NOT using full screen preview.
- I can get an external strobe to work with my G9 and the same Wein synch adapter when in Live preview.

I think this is a limitation of how Canon have implemented live view on the 40D.

3. I cannot get the 40D to focus when using full screen preview in Photobooth mode.

Canon DSLRs don't auto-focus when taking pictures in live view. You have have to pre-focus before taking the picture.

4. On my G9 when I use Live preview, initially I see an image with regular brightness, but after either the first image, or after adjusting the zoom (using external buttons) the image goes dark. I thought at first this was black, but looking very closely it is actually still showing a live preview, but now exceptionally dim. Note that the zoom buttons still work, but I can't see the results in the Live preview.

I suspect this is because the live view is trying to simulate the exposure using the ambient light and if this is dim and you're using flash the live view may be too dark. You could try different exposure modes e.g. manual or Av.

5. And finally, a feature request. Each image may have a different number of subjects - I want to be able to make 1 print per person, i.e. if there are 3 subjects in an image, I want to be able to make 3 copies of that photostrip. If there are 2 in the next, 2 copies, etc. It would be great to be able to set this on a sequence by sequence basis (ideally by pressing the appropriate numeral on the keyboard either before or after the sequence is taken). I've found a kludge around this for now, (by running 2 monitors and having the full screen app run on only the monitor inside the booth, and using the other desktop to use windows printing features to reprint extra copies). If there is a better way to do this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

There isn't a better way to do it at the moment but it is something I'm looking at.

dfinkel
February 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Chris:

Thanks for the rapid response - makes all the difference. I think I have figured out the first (and major) item with your help. I generally don't like to mix programs and data together, so I have specified a different directory from the default for the output images and the background, ready and other JPEGs. Actually there is nowhere in the documentation that I could find that refers to taking.jpg, but when I searched my hard drive, saw where this was, I realized that the program must be looking for the file, but not know where to find it. It seems in the absence of such a file, it defaults to the last known image taken. Now that I moved everything back to the default directories I get a taking image and I can edit it to make it what I want. A few notes/questions (for future releases)

a. Why do we have to have a taking.jpg at all? Any reason the app. can't just go from ready.jpg to taking the image, then reviewing the image taken?

b. At the least, I would recommend adding documentation about taking.jpg alongside ready.jpg, background.jpg. etc.

c. If there are other issues about changing the default directories, I would suggest either making a cautionary note, or detail which files need to be in place for the app. to be happy.

Please check that the taking.jpg image is the same size or larger than the screen resolution. It sounds as though it may be too small. The next update will pad the images out to fill the screen and display a warning if they are too small.

I think this is a limitation of how Canon have implemented live view on the 40D.

OK. I was considering buying a 1000D/Rebel XS if I end up doing a lot of these gigs. Do you know if the same issue applies to that camera?

Canon DSLRs don't auto-focus when taking pictures in live view. You have have to pre-focus before taking the picture.

OK. For a hands off photobooth this is a bit of a problem if people move closer to the camera (which is kind of cool in a series of images). FYI, I've had no problem with this working when not using LiveView, or working when using LiveView on the G9. I understand this is not under your control.

I suspect this is because the live view is trying to simulate the exposure using the ambient light and if this is dim and you're using flash the live view may be too dark. You could try different exposure modes e.g. manual or Av.

I will double check, but am almost certain I am in Manual mode (otherwise the exposure on the shot would we way off).

There isn't a better way to do it at the moment but it is something I'm looking at.

One thought I had was to be able to use a hot key utility that could be setup to use the windows printing features. The issue I would have with this is that the name of the composite image changes each time (as you want, if you want to be able to keep the images for later, which I do). What might work would be save the composite image twice - once with a unique name (for saving) and once as "LAST_COMPOSITE" or similar. A hotkey utility might then be able to be setup to print the LAST_COMPOSITE file with different keys set to different quantities.

Thanks again!

David

Chris Breeze
February 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I will add a note to the help file about the taking.jpg.
I'm also adding more error checking in the program to warn if files are missing or the wrong size.
The next releases of PSRemote, DSLR Remote Pro and NKRemote will also have the ability to specify the number of prints before starting the sequence by typing Ctrl+1 through to Ctrl+5.
I think it would be better to use a separate app for reprinting images after they've been taken because the chances are that by the time the photos have been printed the booth is already taking the next batch.

dfinkel
February 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Chris:

When do you anticipate releasing these next versions?

I think having the capability to specify the number of prints beforehand will work well. I use a Sony UPDR-150 which kicks out prints very fast. Even if the next group is already having the picture taken that's fine as the print jobs will just stack up in the queue.

Having to rely on another app to print the pictures after they are taken will be slower and requires a 2 monitor setup if you are avoid exiting the app each time to print the image. Having the Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 feature etc will serve the purpose of allowing the operator to choose how the prints get made.

In fact, it would be really cool to be able to allow the Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 feature to be set with the external buttons.

Thanks David

Chris Breeze
February 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm hoping to have this ready by the end of the month.

rkpowers
March 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I am now having the same problem with the 1/3 screen image. I'm going to try to follow what you posted, but if you have any other info on this problem I would love to hear it. I am running Windows Vista and another problem, and I'm sure it's minor AND operator error, is that in full screen the first (and each subsequent) image is captured and immediately, before the full screen view coes up, Windows Photo Gallery pops up on top, when I close that I get the 1/3 screen image, no live view and the same happens after each shot. I also have noticed that the countdown text over prints so that by the fourth shot, you can't read the numbers. Any suggestions?

rkpowers
March 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm replying to my own post. I think I have managed to work my way through most of the problems....enough so that I'm about ready to write the "PSRemote for Dummies" tutorial::eek:
Only problem I'm still having is that pesky "Windows Photo Gallery" over-riding the photobooth preview...or would that be postview.
I'm told that may be in an .exe file...!??

Chris Breeze
March 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I don't have any problems with Windows Photo Gallery on any of my Vista systems and so it's hard to know what might be causing it to appear. The only possibilities I can think of are:
1) Is Windows AutoPlay somehow launching it?
2) Is the editor setup in PSRemote (File->Setup Image Editor...) set to automatically edit the image when the photo is taken?
3) It might be a setting in Windows Photo Gallery e.g. has the photo booth output folder been added to the list of folders in Windows Photo Gallery?

I think #1 this is unlikely because AutoPlay only happens when the camera is connected and shouldn't cause problems after this.
#2 is probably the most likely cause of the problem.

rkpowers
March 31st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.
Now, I just got my Stealthswitch. Where do I configure that to PhotoBooth?

rkpowers
March 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Number 2 was it! Thanks, I am humbled by a computer once again! I'm sure the Stealthswitch will be equally as simple...and that's good because I appear to be simple-minded

rkpowers
March 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Stealthswitch tells me that there is no need to even download the software,(though I already had) that PSRemote will automatically pick it up. It's there, but how do I get it to do what I need? I open PSRemote, go to full screen shoot mode, click SSwitch and it just goes back to PSRemote open page, click again and get full screen shoot mode again but no shooting. What am I missing?

rkpowers
March 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ok, in keeping with my one man doofus blog, StealthSwitch was very helpful. If you buy one, don't bother installing the software...just plug and go. If the software is running the SS does what it was designed to do, just hides screens. By itself, through PSRemote, it triggers the photo sequence as expected.