PDA

View Full Version : Countdown text placement and feature request

dfinkel
March 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Is it possible to choose where the "text displayed while counting down" is located on the screen? I'd really like to put it further up the page to work with the page design I have.

Also a feature request for some future release - can you make the Photobutton window able to minimized so it doesn't need to be on/behind screen at all times?

Thanks

David

warwickwater
March 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think you really want to keep the preview video right at the top, assuming you are mounting the camera above the screen. Regardless of what you say onscreen (drunk) people will always just watch themselves on preview, and you want their eyes as close as possible to the lens.

Onscreen design comes secondary to the overall look of the finished prints (just my opinion)

Chris Breeze
March 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Is it possible to choose where the "text displayed while counting down" is located on the screen? I'd really like to put it further up the page to work with the page design I have.

Also a feature request for some future release - can you make the Photobutton window able to minimized so it doesn't need to be on/behind screen at all times?

Thanks

David

It isn't possible to control the placement of the countdown text at the moment. Currently it is always placed in the middle of the space below the live view window. It's tricky to get the right balance between simplicity, flexibility and configurability.

The photobooth button utility needs to be running in order to detect button presses and pass them on to the photobooth software but it doesn't need to be the active window. You can always move it to the side of the screen if it's in the way. Surely it doesn't matter where it is once full screen photo booth mode is selected?

dfinkel
March 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Chris:

I need to download and try 1.7.4, but right now my setup is that I have an external LCD connected to my laptop and have it setup as an extended desktop. This allows me to run the DSLRemote app full screen on the external LCD (which is in the photobooth) and have the main LCD screen kept open so I can view the outputted images and reprint additional copies as needed.

The Photobooth app is on the laptop screen and I'd like to be able to minimize it there for real estate purposes and to make sure I don't accidentally close it. I suppose I could move it to the external LCD desktop, but frankly it is a bit of a pain because you can't always see that screen easily from the laptop. Again, I am afraid of accidentally closing it while the other app is running.

This isn't a huge deal, but I was surprised when I went to the app and could minimize it.

dfinkel
March 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
IF I was running LivePreview, I might agree with you (although thankfully I don't work events with too many drunks!). However, at the present time I don't for a number of reasons. If the "live preview for first image only" feature gets implemented, I might change this.

People tend to look at movement - either their own movement on screen or changing text on screen (such as a countdown).

In my screen design, it would be helpful to put the count down text elsewhere, perhaps even further up the screen, but for now, what I've down is move the other text around the page to try to avoid overlapping the count down. The only way I could do this was trial and error.