PDA

View Full Version : 1.7.4 Audio

dfinkel
March 22nd, 2009, 01:15 AM
Just installed 1.7.4 and I really appreciate the ability to set the quantities with Ctrl+ number (works great). Also the audio additions will be fun.

Of course, with every new feature comes more feature requests! I have a few issues with making the audio usable, some of which I can overcome, but one key issue I cannot.

My main issue is that the ready.wav plays as soon as the processing.wav is finished. This is great if there is a steady flow of customers, but when there is a gap the ready message doesn't get heard by those coming later, making it of limited use. There are a few solutions I've thought of, but if there is an easier way to accomplish this today, I'd welcome ideas.

The only thing I have figured out for now is that I can exit full screen, then restart full screen mode, which will cause ready.wav to play. Obviously, this is not ideal.

What I would ideally like to see is the option to loop the ready message with some timing option, i.e. "loop ready.wav every X seconds". This would be the solution for unattended booths also.

Other ideas - have some key that initiates ready.wav that an operator can press after someone enters the booth. One good way to do this might be to enable it to be linked with the Ctrl-number image quantity selection, i.e. have the option that when the quantity is selected it causes ready.wav (or another wav file) to play.

The other main issue I've had is that the wav file plays immediately, i.e. 2.wav plays as soon as 2.jpg displays. This makes it harder to have the sound play just before the image is taken. I don't want to have the same sound with each image (else I could use taking.wav), so I've had to edit my sounds with an audio editor to pad silence before the sound so the total duration makes the sound play closer to when the image is taken.

Thanks again for a great product!

David

Chris Breeze
March 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
One thing you could try is making the ready.wav very long so that it has the welcome message followed by a pause repeated several times. This will keep playing until it reaches the end or the sequence starts and another wav file is played instead. e.g. 1.wav could be instructions like "Look at the camera" or simply a short silence to kill the ready.wav playback.

dfinkel
March 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Chris:

I will try this. FYI, at many of the events we work, we are generally back to back with clients throughout the evening.

However, at some parties it is stop and go. We could have 5 -10 minute periods of downtime (loneliness!) Will have to see how long a 10 minute WAV file ends up being and if I can compress it (otherwise I expect it is approx. 10MB/min).

BTW, any reason why you chose only WAV support vs. MP3. I know there are a million audio options, but IMHO MP3 would have been an easier format for end users.

Thanks

David

Chris Breeze
March 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I re-used some code which plays wav files from another project. It's possible the same code could be used to play .mp3 files in which case it would only be a small change to the software to support either format.