PDA

View Full Version : DL Pro suggestion

Peter Gregg
January 19th, 2005, 02:06 AM
I am using Downloader Pro as the first link in my workflow. I have asked for, and gotten, some suggestions created before. The latest is DL Pro remembering the last few places I have loaded files for more than one hard drive convenience.

I have a new suggestion. When working with a RAW workflow, I would like to create a suite of folders at once. The parent folder and up to 4 folders inside it.

Here is the reasoning. The first or parent folder is where the RAW files are to be placed. Inside that, I always manually create additional folders. A typical job or event might look like this:

2005-01-10 1D MKII Lunch with Chris Breeze
Converted - Needs Processing
Full Size Processed
Web Size Processed

The RAW files go in the first one, placed there by DL Pro.
The converted files go in the next one, converted by whatever conversion program I may use.
The files that are sharpened by PS full size go into the Full Size Folder.
The files shrunk for the web go into the Web Size folder.

Others will have different workflows, but they still separate their files. Breeze Browser is smart enough to create it's own "child" folder, but almost no other programs do that.

So when creating a new folder in Downloader, maybe a setting that adds pre-named additional folders, up to a limit, are also created. The titles of these folders can be done in advance in the Preferences so people can call their "child" folders whatever their workflow call for. The inner folders can always be the same name, as it is the parent folder that DL Pro creates that starts an event rolling.

Thanks,
~Peter

Chris Breeze
January 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I think you'll find the "Directory Maker" plug-in does exactly what you want. Just go to DLPro's preferences, click on Plug-ins and select the "Directory Maker" plug-in. Enable the plug-in and then hit the Setup... button to add a list of the subfolders you want to create.

Peter Gregg
January 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Wow, this forum is great, you ask for something and it is already there waiting for you!

Funny thing is i have been doing that manually every time all this time. Thanks Chris! Well, it almost was a good suggestion - lol.

Thanks again,
~Peter

Zero-Point
January 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM
On the subject of the Directory Maker plug-in, would it be possible to have an EDIT button to modify a current entry? Not as important, just for organization would be to have UP/DOWN arrows to move entries.

I'm not really needing these now as I have it setup, but for future users these would come in handy. I had issues with not putting the correct entry in and having to remove then add again. Actually, I am going to modify my directory structure so it would come in handy. :D

Chris Breeze
January 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure it is worth adding an edit button because most people probably won't change the settings very much once they've been set up. The directories are listed in alphabetical order.

BTW you can create several levels of directories at once e.g.
converted\final

You don't need to use:
converted
converted\final