PDA

View Full Version : Photobooth timing problem

djrob
March 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I am running the latest version of PSRemote on a XP pro, service pack 3 machine (just bought it....P4, 3.0 Ghz, 4 gig RAM). I use a Canon S3.

The problem: Sometimes, when a user initiates a photo booth sequence, the program will take inconsistent pictures. Meaning, sometimes:

-instead of properly executing the count down, sometimes the camera will take two pictures in a row (catching the user off guard)
-instead of taking 4 pictures (like it should) it will take 5 (but only use 4 of them)
-sometimes it leaves the countdown text for the last picture frozen on top of the processing.jpg screen, and this will not reset until a new sequence is started
-sometimes the camera beeps (indicating AF) and then there is a large delay before it takes the picture

Here's the catch: I cannot re-create this problem when I run it on my Vista laptop (thus ruling out a problem with the camera/cable). However, I just bought my XP desktop and the only thing I am running on it is PSRemote. Under the hardware tab, I confirmed that I have "enhanced USB2" and the pictures are downloading and being processed lightning fast (faster than my vista laptop). I have already disabled windows indexing, which I thought would be the problem, but that did nothing...I've also done all of the windows updates. I've tried AF lock and reduced the images to "small" as well, to no avail.

Please help! I need to make this work on the desktop (or buy a new machine) because I use the laptop for dj'ing.

Have any of you had any of these issues??

djrob
March 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM
I have been working on this for the better part of two days, and I still cannot figure it out.

I noticed that when I have my vista laptop (works properly) and xp pro desktop (does not work right) next to each other that the "focus points" field was available on the vista machine and not on xp. That got me thinking....is the software coded differently for xp vs. vista? I would imagine it would have to be...

The other thing I noticed is that I run into problems on xp (see above post) if I press F4 during the photo booth sequence, but I don't have this problem in Vista...

I know this isn't anything solid...but I cannot figure out what the problem is, and I got a gig coming up this weekend!

Chris Breeze
March 31st, 2009, 09:25 AM
The software works the same on Vista and XP and should provide identical functionality.

I don't know what is causing the problems on your XP setup but if it is behaving differently from the Vista setup it suggests that either the settings are different on the two PCs or that there is something wrong with the XP system e.g. drivers, cabling, USB hardware problems or some other compatibility issue. It might be worth trying a different camera or a more recent model such as an SX110 IS or G10 to see if that makes any difference. Is the XP machine fully up to date with all the latest Microsoft updates? Is there any software running on the PC which might be trying to access the camera e.g. Picassa, the Canon software or some other software launched by Windows AutoPlay? Does the Windows Task Manager show any apps which might be causing problems or excessive CPU usage?

photo_ells
March 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
I too also occasionally get the exact same problems as djrob on my Vista laptop so it can't be an XP over Vista problem. As far as I'm aware I'm using the latest drivers from Canon's website.

I am using Canon S5 IS as my camera.

I have been warning the users that the booth may "throw in an early surprise shot for added fun" but ideally I too would like to get this sorted out although no-one has ever complained as the "surprise" photos are normally the funniest!

I will try your others suggestions Chris and let you know how I get on. To be honest as a Mac user I just put it down to being a Windows thing.

Ells