PDA

View Full Version : Video to still

dfinkel
May 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hope this isn't too far off topic - this has to do with an idea I have for a new photobooth type service for my clients.

I am trying to do something a bit unusual and am hoping that someone out there may be able to help me. I want to be able to capture a large number of images in a short period of time (say approx. 60 images in 6 seconds or so) and be able to individually access the images. A number of my cameras have movie modes (e.g. G9, 40D, 5Dii). Ideally I would like to be able to capture a six second movie at about 15 frames per second and then be able to have each frame as a separate JPEG. Anyone know how to do this (hopefully quickly and simply!)?

I know the resolution of the files will be quite low, but for this application that is fine.

Thanks
David

Chris Breeze
May 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately it isn't possible to shoot in movie mode using a Canon PowerShot and currently the Canon SDK doesn't allow movie capture with the 5D Mark II or EOS 500D/Rebel T1i.
The live view images are sent as JPEG images and so it would be possible to create a custom version of the software to save these to disk and you should be able to get a frame rate of approximately 10fps to 15fps with a fast PC. The live view images from a 40D or 50D are 1024x680 pixels in size.
Please can you contact me directly if you'd like to discuss this in more detail ([email protected]).