PDA

View Full Version : G10 Exposure vs preview image

solock
May 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Finalizing the setup on our photobooth, and I have a bit of a problem with preview exposure vs photo exposure on a G10

My flash is a novatron turned all the way down, with added diffusion to cut the light, and I am set at ISO 100 and F7.1.
Exposure is great for the photo, and if I press Update AE/Af on the preview window the preview looks great too.

After the photo is taken the preview window is really dark, it seems that the camera is set for the taking aperture instead of the preview setting. If I press UpdateAE/AF again it looks good... Till the next photo is taken.

THe workaround I am currently using is using program mode, ISO 400 and -2 Exposure compensation... Not sure that that is going to work in a darker room, but ???

How can I get the preview exposure to work correctly or be updated after the photo is taken??

Is there a setting that I am missing??

Thanks,

Steve

chuckb
May 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Are you in manual mode for exposure? Auto won't work with novatron lights. No ETTL.

solock
May 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I am no longer in manual mode, thats the point.

In manual mode, the exposure necessary for the photograph causes the preview to be virtually black, you can see that something is working, but it is so underexposed as to be useless.

If after the photo exposure I click on update AE/AF on the preview window screen the liveview screen is usable, till the next actual exposure...

If I run it in program mode, with -2 exposure compensation, then I get a usable preview and a properly exposed image, but I fear a slower than desired shutter speed.

What I need is some way to get the preview to auto update the AE of the preview screen...

Chris Breeze
May 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
There isn't much I can do about the live viewfinder behavior on the G10 after taking a picture in manual mode. Is there any way you can get the camera to recognise the flash in program exposure mode? If you can do this the live viewfinder exposure should be boosted by the camera to normal brightness and the shutter speed should be set to 1/60 sec.
Alternatively you could try turning on the camera's internal flash and deflecting it so that it doesn't illuminate the subject. You should be able to set the camera to Av or Manual exposure mode to ensure you get the right aperture for the lighting from the main flash.