PDA

View Full Version : Printer frustration

randalstout
June 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

My needs dictate that I will be using inkjet printers. Maybe one day I'll see the light of a dye-sub.

Regardless, my problem is this: the DSLR Remote program is smart enough to figure out what the paper size is by looking at what the printing preferences are for that printer. So if you tell it you have 4" x 6" paper installed, it knows that and adjusts accordingly.

Unfortunately, the printer I have (an Epson Artisan 50) says it does not officially support a piece of paper with a width smaller than 3.5". It will, however, work if I use a program such as Word or Photoshop where I tell it that I have a piece of paper smaller than that in the printer.

Is there a way to specify my paper size in the program rather than in the printer printing preferences?

Chris Breeze
June 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
You can only use the page sizes available in the printer driver settings. Some printer drivers allow you to specify custom page sizes. Please note that the paper transport mechanism in the printer may not be able to handle very narrow page sizes.

If you can't specify a narrow enough page size you can adjust the layout so that it only prints on the left hand side of the page. You can do this by creating a suitably sized right.jpg to pad the right margin of the page. You will also need to adjust any header and footer images.

randalstout
June 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I figured it out...

If anyone else out there owns an Epson inkjet printer and they need to adjust the margins to be different than what Epson allows, let me know.

There is a program out there that gave me the location of the configuration files and from there I was able to use a hex editor program to adjust the margins. Now it works just fine!