PDA

View Full Version : Best Printer for Photo Strips, without cutting

brougham
July 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I don't know if anyone else is having the same frustration but, I would like to find a HIGH quality printer that will print the strips automatically without having to cut them.

I think having to cut the strips on site is not the most ideal or most professional approach. I'm fairly new at this, but want to get the right equipment the first time around.

Dye-sub would obviously be ideal, but I cannot find any info on one that will take custom sheets, or anything close to a "strip" size. It doesn't have to be the traditional 2 x 6 strip, but even something close. I think that 3.5 is a little wide as well.

Hopefully someone can help out.

thanks!

snapshot
July 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
I don't know of any dye-subs that take any paper less then 3.5 inches in width. I've heard it may be possible to have a driver created for certain printers (only even possible on those that cut along the 6" side of a 4x6 photo) to make them cut the strips. However, I have no personal experience with this and have never actually seen it done. In addition, a custom driver will cost you some money.

Therefore, if you really don't want to cut the strips, an ink-jet is the easiest way to go, as they can use 2x6 paper. Personally, I wouldn't go that route, as having your pictures smudge is about the worst thing that could happen.

I don't see the big deal with cutting the strips on site. I've been doing this for a while now, and not once has anyone said anything about cutting the strips. They are usually excited that there are two copies.

brougham
July 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Well until someone comes along and makes a dye sub for it, I guess the double strip is the best thing to do for sure.

Then, my next question is, the most ideal dye sub. The weapon of choice for most people seems to be the Sony UP-CX1. Since you have experience with it could you give me a couple of opinions on it? Would you buy it again? Is there another "standard" model that people tend to use?

Thanks

PS. Would an OLYMPUS P-11 or P-10 be a good backup? They are a fraction of the cost and are very small.

jonmonts
July 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Olympus stopped production of their P series printers. Other than a used one here or there on eBay or Craig's List, you'll be hard pressed to find one. The cost of those things was great though.

-jm

brougham
July 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
So is there now a "new" low cost alternative for a backup?

jonmonts
July 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Not really sure. There's bound to be something. Maybe a Canon Selphy?

-jm

photoguy1
July 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Sony UP-CX1 = Good stuff. We have been very happy and have had no issues, great prints at a great price.

brougham
July 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I guess my next question would be does anyone know of any dealers with a good reputation. I am located in Vancouver , Canada so preferably a canadian one. But if I have to get it from somewhere else, no problem.

snapshot
July 31st, 2009, 03:47 AM
Then, my next question is, the most ideal dye sub. The weapon of choice for most people seems to be the Sony UP-CX1. Since you have experience with it could you give me a couple of opinions on it? Would you buy it again? Is there another "standard" model that people tend to use?

I wouldn't say there is a standard. The UP-CX1 is probably the most popular and that probably has to do with cost. I use one, and I think it is great. It isn't the fastest printer in the world, at about 16 seconds for a 4x6, but since one session in the booth lasts at least 45 seconds, it doesn't matter as the print is done long before the next group gets out. It has always been rock solid for us. It is super easy and quick to change the paper. Plus, it is probably one of the lighter professional printers out there which is also nice.

As for others, Sony makes a couple such as the UPDR 150 and UPDR 200. Both are more expensive, but also quite a bit faster and they hold more paper. Mitsubishi also make some like the CP9800DW which I know some people like. Fuji, DNP, and Shinko also make similar type printers, though I don't know if anyone has experience with those.

The Shinko S2145 could be interesting. It is super fast at 7 seconds/print, holds 700 prints per roll, and it only costs about $1000. One downside is that it weighs some 44 lbs which is twice as much as a UP-CX1.

I use imagingspectrum.com, but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or not.

anastassis
August 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
i use the Shinko S2145 for a while, and i believe that is the best value for money printer available. Recommend it 100%

okcfb
August 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I use the Sony UPDR 200. It cost a little more than the Shinko initially but the prints are cheaper which will make up for the cost pretty quickly.

carroll1
August 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I tried the Shinko printer...nothing but problems for me. Their customer support is terrible because it's a Japanese manufactured product who outsources U.S support to people that don't know the product and don't return emails or phone calls.

Want more proof...go to their us website and try to download drivers...half the links are dead and you can't download the manual.

It's fine if it doesn't break, but once it does...you're out of luck. Stick with Sony in my opinion!

anastassis
August 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Company name changed from Shinko as of April 2009 to Sinfonia Technology LTD.

Try to download drivers from http://www.sinfo-t.jp/eng/printers.php

rsh78ph
August 27th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have seen the Shinko printer and its really heavy! It would take two to carry it. Any inputs regarding its reliability?

Anyone tried the HiTi P510s?