PDA

View Full Version : Aspect Ratio

HardyBob
September 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
For the lack of a better definition, I will use the word aspect ratio as it relates to photo sizes when the are rotated from an vertical held camera view to a horizontal view using Breeze Browser to rotate the image.

When the image is rotated 90 degrees the aspect ration or proportion is changed to fit in a different frame dimension. The resulting image appears to have the sides squeezed. Some people appreciate this size change. It is difficult to explain, but:

Is there a way to rotate the image and have the top or bottom trimmed to preserve image aspect or proportion?

DavidB
September 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
When the image is rotated 90 degrees the aspect ration or proportion is changed to fit in a different frame dimension. The resulting image appears to have the sides squeezed. Some people appreciate this size change. It is difficult to explain, but:

Is there a way to rotate the image and have the top or bottom trimmed to preserve image aspect or proportion?
This surprises me. On my machine, the aspect ratio is always preserved, and BB Pro Help specifically states that the rotation is lossless. I don't think that it's a display issue with BB Pro as such. Possibly your screen or screen driver has a part in whatever is happening. Have you tried to reproduce the issue on another screen/computer?

It is certainly possible to use proofs to produce images cropped to a particular aspect ratio, but, as you describe it, I don't think that is a solution to your particular problem.

Hope this helps

David

Chris Breeze
September 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
This is almost certainly a display issue caused by a monitor or display setting which doesn't give square pixels. If the horizontal and vertical resolutions differ slightly an image will appear to have a different aspect ratio when rotated e.g. a screen which has a resolution of 95 dpi horizontally and 90 dpi vertically will cause a landscape orientation image to look taller and narrower when it is rotated through 90 degrees.

BBPro does not change the aspect ratio when rotating images - this is easy to verify by loading the image into a photo editor before and after rotation and comparing the dimensions in pixels.

DavidB
September 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Just to add to Chris's points, with which I agree, it is worth checking that, if you have an LCD monitor, it is working at its native resolution (usually the largest available), as this will give the best results.

David