PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request - Preview Image

photoboothier
October 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I am using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) which has no Live View so it is very difficult for people using the booth to see how they will be framed in the photo until the first photo is taken.

Would it be possible to press the Preview button (F9) and pop up where the Live View would be so that photo booth users can see if they will be in the photo before starting the PhotoBooth Sequence? I guess this would be during the ready.jpg screen.

Otherwise, I have to press Escape, press F9 to get a preview to make sure they are in frame and then begin the PhotoBooth Sequence. Not so polished or professional looking and hope it's not too much hassle for you to program this functionality.

Thanks for the great software!

Chris Breeze
October 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
It would be much better to use a camera with live view so that the users can see exactly how the shot is framed. Taking preview shots would be better than nothing, but I think it would be a poor substitute for live view. It's well worth considering upgrading from the 300D to a 1000D/450D/500D.

photoboothier
October 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Eventually, I will upgrade the camera but am trying to make do with the equipment I have available.

Taking preview shots would be a better substitute than having no preview shot and would minimize wasting the first shot taken by the Photobooth sequence. It would be a less frames per second Live View since you can take as many preview shots as you need to before starting the Photobooth sequence... perhaps the camera can keep taking preview shots continuously while in ready.jpg mode and until the Photobooth sequence is initiated... I think that might be a fairly good Live View substitute(!)

Please take this feature into consideration on your next update.

Thanks!

Seiford
October 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I am using a 300D also.

I was making a simple photo booth for my son's school events.. so nothing fancy.

I was over-thinking how to get a live view.. camcorder w/another monitor, webcam, etc.. Until I said to my husband: "What we need is a mirror"!! Duh.

So we mounted a mirror on the top of the booth, camera below, then the monitor running DSLR Remote Pro below that. Works slick.

photoboothier
October 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
What focal length are you shooting at? Also, what distance are your subjects from the camera? I'm guessing if you use a mirror, that you're using close to 50mm for a normal FOV?