PDA

View Full Version : Live preview with modeling light

Rodasphoto.com
October 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I am finishing building my booth and I have a monolight(Flashpoint Model II 320A) with a 100W modeling lamp. Since this flash does not have i-TTL or any such technology, I set the power to the monolight and place my G10 in manual mode as well. 1/125 sec and f/5.6-8 or so to stop any action and get a good depth of field in case there are 2 rows of people in the booth. But when I go to test it out the preview is completely black. If I put it back to Program the shutter speed is 1/5 sec which is to slow, or if I put it in Tv(shutter priority) it gives f/2.8 not enough depth of field. I appreciate all your help and guidance.:confused:

chuckb
October 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Set your shutter speed to 60th of a second, and then use the f stop that matches your correct exposure with the mono light. The meter in the camera is useless when using flash. The Flash is setting the exposure, thus you set your f# to match the flash. The shutter speed is set for flash sync, You see the flash goes off at about 500th to 1000th of a second and freezes the action. So don't worry about shutter speed in respect to subject movement, except to make it slow enough to sync with the mono light. A 60th should work on most cameras.

Chuck

Rodasphoto.com
October 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Many thanks. I have never used anything other than a speedlite so it's easy to say that I don't have any experience with monolights. I will have to try it again usin your suggestions.

jonmonts
October 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Rodas-

What ISO are you using? We are usually set to around f5.6 or f6.3 @ 1/60 or 1/125 with the ISO set to 400 and still get a good preview. We use an S5 with a 50w or 70w modeling lamp and use different software (but still keep up with PSRemote and this forum). Regardless exposure should be consistent across camera models and capture software.

-jm

Rodasphoto.com
October 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have tried bumping the iso up to 400 & the shutter speed is 1/60 of second. It seems that the preview goes dark after the first shot. I don't know what's up.

jonmonts
October 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Do you have access to another camera? If so test it at the same settings to see if your result is consistent. If the result is notconsistent, you've got a camera issue...if it is consistent, then I don't know what to say.

-jm

Rodasphoto.com
October 14th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Unfortunately I only have one point and shoot, and one DSLR. I got to see if any of my friends have one that is compatible that I can borrow. I am also going to reinstall the software and see if that helps.

Chris Breeze
October 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
This is more of a camera problem than a software one. In manual mode the camera tries to simulate the exposure in the live view and doesn't take account of the flash. Try setting the camera to Av exposure mode with the correct aperture for the flash. The camera should detect the flash in the hotshoe and automatically set the shutter speed to 1/60 sec but still display the live view images with the correct exposure for the ambient light.

Rodasphoto.com
October 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I will try that as well. If notn I thought of adding more lights. I just need to find some florescent lights that have same temperature as not to throw off the wb. I will keep you posted on any progress. On a side note this does not happen when then camera is set to P (the shutter is way to slow at 1/4 or so). Again many thanks for all your help.

Rodasphoto.com
October 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I tried in av mode and the live preview is fine, but the shutter speed is way to slow. When I go back to manual and set to 1/60 and f/5.6 ISO 400, after the first shot the live preview goes really dark. If I am not in photobooth mode and hit preview, the live preview also goes dark but I can fix that by hitting update AE/AF. I just don't know what to do. The exposures come out alright when set to manual and using an external monolight (Flashpoint 320A) its the preview after the first shot that gets me.

Rodasphoto.com
October 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to update I added 4 27 watt florescent (400W eq.) and shot 1/60 f/5 and auto and it seemed to workout ok. Just wished that PSRemote could auto update AE/AF in live view to prevent it from going so dark without using a lot of light.

tienkan
November 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
This is also my problem. I am using canon g7, external flash, ISO 100, F/8.0. My live view also goes really dark after the first shot. At first, i tried 1/125 ( my live view goes black) then i tried 1/5 (the live view is still dark but not that dark) , i also tried 1/3 ( lighter dark, but the live view is already twinkling like christmas lights ).

Can anybody help me?

jay1
November 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I use a g7-use the auto setting