PDA

View Full Version : Do PSRemote supported models all have Live View?

photoboothier
October 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I was wondering if all of the cameras listed at http://breezesys.com/PSRemote/features.htm#ps all support Live View.

I know with DSLR Remote, not all supported cameras have Live View but I couldn't find any information with regards to the Canon Powershot cameras.

Thanks!

Chris Breeze
October 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
The very early PowerShot models like the G1 didn't have live view but you probably wouldn't want to use one anyway because they only have USB 1.1 and are very slow.
All PowerShot models that have USB 2.0 interfaces and support remote capture have live view (320x240 pixels).

photoboothier
October 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Chris. It would be helpful to have a list of cameras that support LiveView instead of just a disclaimer on the bottom that says, "Please note: live view display is only available with cameras that support live view..." ;)

I guess I will have to look through camera specs to see if there is a suitable LiveView P&S.

Chris Breeze
October 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
It's difficult to explain in a single sentence. So far all Canon EOS since the 450D, 5D Mark II, 40D, 1D Mark III and 1Ds Mark III have live view. All except budget Nikons since the D90, D300, D700, D3, D3X have live view. All Canon PowerShot cameras with USB 2.0 and support for remote capture have live view. Very old USB 1.1 PowerShots don't have live view, old USB 1.1 high end PowerShots have live view and most fairly old USB 1.1 models have live view but some USB 1.1 budget models don't.

photoboothier
October 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Chris,

Do you know if the G2 has LiveView? I believe it's USB 1.1 (don't know how to verify the USB speed since it's not mentioned) but read this in one of Canon's literature for the G2:

RemoteCapture
Using a USB-interface PC and RemoteCapture, the camera can
be remotely controlled from a computer. Operations include
shutter release; lens zooming; confirming camera parameters;
setting white balance, resolution/JPEG compression, macro, flash
and exposure compensation.

Does this mean there it has LiveView with PSRemote or only that you can control the camera through PSRemote?

Chris Breeze
October 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
The G2 does have live view (320x240 pixels). It was the first PowerShot camera to have remote live view.

photoboothier
October 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
That's great news! Thanks!