PDA

View Full Version : Switch to DSLR?

carroll1
November 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I currently use the Canon SX110 but am thinking about switching over to DSLR.

I was considering either the Rebel 500d, 450d or the 1000d.

The main reasons for switching are that I want to be able to have an external flash and a clearer liveview. Is this the right move?

What lens do you recommend? Do you and your booth operators need to have extensive photography experience to do this?

Thanks!

snapshot
November 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've been considering whether or not to make a move to DSLRs as well.

With the new powershots no longer supporting remote capture, it puts us in a position of relying on finding used cameras to maintain our booths. I don't particularly like this, as I have an aversion to used equipment, even though I know most people do just fine with used cameras. I also don't like that I would probably need to maintain a stock of backups since there is no guarantee I could find the camera I need quickly since they are not available in stores.

Now that i'm designing a new booth, i'm wondering if I should just go ahead and make the switch now, which would probably be easier then trying to retrofit the booths later.

okcfb
November 4th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Chris can you recommend a camera or set up for DSLR that does not overheat. That seems to be the main problem. Several DSLR users have commented on the live view sensor overheating and most events the set up is running upwards of 5 hours straight. Can the problem be solved with extra ventilation. Any ideas as we will all be converting eventually to DSLR.

Chris Breeze
November 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I haven't heard of any problems with Canon DSLRs overheating when using live view for long periods. Some Nikon DSLRs automatically cancel live view after an hour which can cause problems - the next release of NKRemote will handle this by restarting live view when it detects that the camera has cancelled it.

I think Canon DSLRs are better suited for photobooth use than Nikon DSLRs. The live view is quicker to activate after taking each shot, works better in low light and is higher resolution than Nikon cameras. Also entry level models like the 1000D/Rebel XS have live view whereas live view is only available with more expensive Nikon models such as the Nikon D5000, D90 and above.

carroll1
November 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
So, the XS is the entry level DSLR (the minimum model to use)....any reason to consider the 450d or 500d for my booth?

Chris Breeze
November 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I don't think there is much to choose between the 1000D, 450D and 500D for photobooth shooting. The 500D has video which might be worth useful in the future (currently Canon's SDK doesn't support video capture and so I can't offer this in DSLR Remote Pro yet).

partypros
November 6th, 2009, 02:01 AM
We are currently using the Canon XSI (450D) and have a problem with Live View shutting down especially as the night goes on. I am guessing the camera flash is heating things up and, as we are using the on board flash to fire the external monolight, we are kinda stuck with the problem.

Also, the 450D does not fire the external flash in Live view mode, bummer.

Not sure if anyone has a recommendation but I am looking for another solution.

FYI, I have three of the Canon XSI cameras, they all do the same thing. We also have intermittent problems with an error code on screen stating that the camera could not release shutter. This usually happens later in the night.

Chris Breeze
November 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Some external flashes will work with live view on the Rebel series cameras (XSi/450D, XS/1000D, T1i/1000D) if they are fully E-TTL compatible. With mid range cameras you can use most external flashes with live view if you turn off the camera's silent shooting mode.

How long does it take for the camera to get hot enough to shut down the live view? I've run several sets of batteires through my 450D and the batteries always fail before there are any live view problems.

You could try using continuous lighting rather than flash.

okcfb
November 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Chris do the DSLR cameras not have an AC adapter that you can run with the photo booth mode. I looks like several posts say you have to run it on batteries.

Chris Breeze
November 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
You can buy AC adaptors for DSLR cameras. For Canon cameras they use a dummy battery which goes in the battery compartment with a lead connected to the AC adaptor.

eseo
November 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Anyone using a Canon 50D w/live view and strobes? How long can the camera operate in live view (running on AC adapter) before the safety circuit will shut the camera down? Are you using a backup camera in this situation? With a strobe attached are you getting a shutter lag?