PDA

View Full Version : Booth building..

stillmation
November 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

Rob Mitchell, professional photographer based in Belgium.
I've stumbled on this software whilst on a booth search.. So far nothing really portable is on offer over here in Belgium, this looks like my dream come true.

I've had the demo running on my EEEPC and within a few moments had my Nikon D3 snapping away and printing. Fabulous.

Then the search started, a robust but relatively cheap solution that I can build and use at events where I'm already the photographer for the day.

So far I've been gathering info on all aspects of getting this thing prototyped.

Camera, I was hoping a nice cheap D40 or D50 would suffice, alas, the minimum I seem to be able to use is a D5000 or D90.

Computer, after some digging around and talking to my PC supplier, an EEEPC seems the most cost effective and compact way to go.

Controls, I've seen people using the stealth switch, looks good. However I think I'm going to go the plastic token route. A quick chat to a local game's machine supplier and a Token activator switch seems the way to go.
A call to the UK and a USB controller seems the ideal interface for the switch and software.
Why tokens? Wedding parties can get carried away.. give everyone a token or 2 as they come in and they'll all get a fair share in the both. I can just imagine the kids running around and hammering the trigger button otherwise ;)

Printer, seems like plenty of options here, still looking into that really.

Lighting, I think either some tubelight and ambient shooting or some beam flash units behind the main panel. More looking needed for that.

So.. once my backlog of other work is done, I'm going to be getting into this.
Exciting...

Regards,
Rob.

ScottHack
November 9th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Interested in hearing more about your token trigger and usb switch interface. Please share what you find.

stillmation
November 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Interested in hearing more about your token trigger and usb switch interface. Please share what you find.

I certainly will.

stillmation
November 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm reading a lot about live view, but is it really that critical in a booth?

I'm struggling to believe that live view on a DSLR for several continuous hours is an idea thing, wondering if it will seriously shorten the sensor's lifespan.

I'm experimenting here with the use of a webcam instead of the DSLR live view and wondering if anyone else has done this?

The possible spinoff to this is that the video footage could be recorded and offered as an addition package, edited into a quick showreel of the event.

ideas.. ideas..

Rob

arangraham
November 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I've also been interested in the possibility of adding a "Record a video clip" feature to the software...especially with the D-Movie feature on the Nikon I use. Is this under consideration for the future?

solock
September 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Just got an oppurtunity for a long term lease for one of our photobooths and am interested if you found a token system that would work for your needs.

Thanks in advance

Steve

www.lehighvalleyphotobooth.com

stillmation
September 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Just got an oppurtunity for a long term lease for one of our photobooths and am interested if you found a token system that would work for your needs.

Thanks in advance

Steve

www.lehighvalleyphotobooth.com

I've found a few solutions, but not implimented any yet.
Basically, any coin or token mech would be suitable, surprisingly they're not that expensive either.

This is the UK based firm I deal with, they are very helpful and take the time to explain and help find solutions to various problems.

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/coinmechs.php

These are the coin mechs, but they can supply token based systems too.
When I was researching the options, there were many arcade or ammusement suppliers that have similar. Plus the coin collectors, face plates, etc.

Good luck with the lease.